An ingrown toenail is a very common problem among people. It is also known as onychogryphosis and medically known as unguis incarnates. In this problem the corner or the side edge of a toenail grows in the soft flesh of the nearby skin and it causes a lot of discomfort to the person. It is most common in toenails but sometimes fingernails can also become ingrown. Wearing tight-fitting shoes, a nail injury, improper trimming of nails, and having unusually curved toenails are the causes of it. Those who are suffering from diabetes or other health problem. They have poor blood circulation to the feet so they are higher risk in developing toenail problem. Persistent pain, redness, and swelling are some symptoms of ingrown toenails and if it left untreated it can cause lead to infection. Use these remedies to get rid of ingrown toenail.
Ways to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenail
1.) Keep your Toenail Slightly Raised
If you will keep a small piece of cotton in between your toenail and the skin. It will keep the ingrown toenail from coming back.
- Take a small piece of cotton with the tweezers.
- Then hold the cotton in the tweezers by the corner of the toenail that is ingrown.
- Then take some pointed material and push the cotton under your toenail into the corner. But don’t push it too hard, it can hurt you. The small piece of cotton should form a little ball under your toenail in the corner. It doesn’t have to be too big so that it sticks out from the top of your toenail and it also should not be too small.
- If you will gently and firmly put a cotton which is comfortable, so you will have the right amount of cotton.
- Be sure to remove the cotton daily and cleanse area properly. Replace the old cotton with new to reduce the risk of infection.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Ingrown Toenails
Apple cider vinegar is very helpful to get rid of ingrown toenail. It has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties which help to relieve the symptoms of ingrown toenails. It also has mild acidic nature which prevents the infection.
- Mix equal amount of apple cider vinegar in a small foot tub filled with warm water. Soak your affected toenail in this solution for abut 20 to 30 minutes, then remove your toe and dry your nail thoroughly.
- Or you can use another option. Soak a cotton ball in the apple cider vinegar solution and place it on the affected area. Cover it with a bandage for two to three hours, then remove it.
- Use these remedies two to three times a day until you see the positive result.
3.) Turmeric to Cure Ingrown Toenail
The compound present in turmeric called curcumin, which is responsible for its anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and pain relieving properties. you can use turmeric to get rid of ingrown toenail, it will also help to relieve pain, swelling and inflammation.
- Take half teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix it with a little mustard oil. apply this paste over the affected area and cover it with a bandage. Use this remedy 2 to 3 times a day for several days to treat an ingrown toenail.
- Or you can use another option. Apply antibiotic cream which contain curcumin on the affected area and cover it with a bandage. Reapply this 2 to 3 times a day.
- Or you can bail a glass of milk and put 1 teaspoon of turmeric in it. Drink this milk filled with turmeric twice a day to reduce the pain and speed up the healing process.
4.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Ingrown Toenail
Tea tree oil is one of the very effective remedies to get rid of ingrown toenail. It has antiseptic properties that can help to relieve the pain and reduce the risk of infection caused by an ingrown toenail.
- You need to put one to two drops of tea tree oil with one tablespoon of any carrier oil such as coconut or olive oil.
- Apply this mixture of oil on the ingrown toenail and cover it with a bandage.
- Use this effective remedy two to three times a day until you see the positive and satisfactory result.
- You can also use oregano and lavender oil along with tea tree oil.
- If you feel irritation after applying any oil so stop using it.
5.) Indian Lilac to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenail
Indian lilac is also known as neem. It has anti-inflammatory and pain reducing properties which can alleviate your pain, swelling, and inflammation caused by an ingrown toenail. It also has antifungal properties so that it can reduce the risk of infection and promote healing. Indian lilac is very effective remedy to treat ingrown toenil.
- Take 4 cups of water and put them in a jar and add a handful of Indian lilac leaves, then boil a water.
- Strain the solution and allow it cool down a little bit.
- Soak the affected toe in the solution for about 10 to 15 minutes. Make sure to dry the area thoroughly.
- Use this remedy twice a day.
- Apply Indian Lilac oil on the affected area before going to bed and leave it for overnight. Then rinse off next morning.
- Use this remedy daily to see the positive result.
6.) Warm Water Soak to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenail
When you are suffering from an ingrown toenail. Soak your toe in warm water few times a day can help you to relieve from the pain and swelling caused by an ingrown toenail. Water should be as hot as you can put your feet and stand.
- Warm a water and put it in the foot tub.
- Then soak your feet in foot tub for about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Use this treatment 3 to 4 times a day to get rid of ingrown toenail.
7.) Epsom Salt to Treat Ingrown Toenail
Epsom salt is also known as magnesium sulfate. It has different uses including in treating an ingrown toenail. Epsom salt softens the skin around the affected area which makes it easy to draw ou the toenail. It also helps in treating the inflammation. Epsom salt is very effective remedy to get rid of ingrown toenail.
- You need to mix one tablespoon of Epsom salt in a foot tub filled with warm water.
- Then soak your feet in this foot tub for abut 5 to 20 minutes.
- Then remove your feet from the water and let it dry thoroughly.
- Use this remedy three to four times a week.
8.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenail
Hydrogen peroxide is a very powerful disinfectant. It helps to reduce the risk of infection and relieve pain and inflammation caused an ingrown. It is a very effective remedy to get rid of ingrown toenail.
- Mix half cup of hydrogen peroxide in a small foot tub filled with warm water
- Then soak your affected toe about 15 to 20 minutes in this solution.
- Use this remedy once or twice a day to treat an ingrown toenail.
9.) Keep Toenails at a Moderate Length
Those people who have roud nails they have a higher chance to ingrown nails.
- Use nail scissor or toenail clipper to trim the toes. Ordinary nail clipper is small enough so they leave the sharp edges near the corner of te toenail.
- Try to cut your nails in every 2 to 3 weeks, cutting your toenail will not give them a chance to become ingrown.
10.) Lemon to Treat Ingrown Toenails
It is one of the effective remedies to get rid of ingrown toenail. All you need to do is to cut the lemon and rub it on the affected toe. Then wear socks and put the affected toe overnight. It helps to get rid of inflammation and swelling caused by ingrown toenails.
11.) Wear Right Size Shoe
Shoes that are too small and press on your toenails can cause them to become ingrown. Go for bigger shoes instead of smaller ones. This tip will help you to prevent ingrown nail. Try to wear open toed shoes to prevent pressure on your toe. If you want your toe should be covered, so you can use bandages wear socks with sandals. It is unfashionable but better than surgery.
12.) Alcohol to Cure Ingrown Nails
Applying alcohol on the affected area helps to soften the toenail once it will get soften then you can easily pile the toenail and get rid of the pain caused due to the toenail. It is a very effective remedy to get rid of ingrown toenail.