This article is about green tea benefits. Green tea is considered as the most consumed beverage after the water, however, 78% black tea is consumed worldwide, only 20% is green. Green tea is made from the unoxidized leaves and one of the fewer processes types of tea and contains one of the most beneficial antioxidants and polyphenols. It is used in traditional Chinese and Indian medicine to heal wound and control bleeding, aid digestion, and also for heart and mental health.
Studies have shown that green tea has positive effects on many things, from weight loss to liver disorder and diseases like Alzheimer’s and type 2 diabetes. Green tea is full of antioxidant and nutrient that has the powerful effect on your body. There is a list of green tea benefits which you would like to see.
List of Green Tea Benefits:
1.) Reduce Cancer Risk from Green Tea
one of the green tea benefits is, it helps to reduce the cancer risk. According to research, polyphenols present in green tea decrease tumor growth and protect against ultraviolet radiation. A Large-scale study found that those who drink green tea were less likely to get affected by pancreatic cancer than who don’t consume. Green tea has also shown the positive result on bladder, breast, ovarian, lung, prostate, skin and stomach cancer. The researcher believes that the high level of polyphenol present in green tea helps to kill cancer cell and stop them from growing, but the exact reason is still unknown.
- Breast Cancer- Studies found that women who drank more green tea had 22% lower risk of developing cancer, which is a most common cancer in women.
- Colorectal Cancer- Study conducted to 70,000 Chinese women found that green tea drinkers had a 57% lower risk of colorectal cancer.
- Prostate Cancer- Studies found that men who drank green tea had 48% lower risk of developing prostate cancer, it is the most common cancer found in men.
2.) Use Green Tea to Fight Aging Sign
Green tea has both antioxidant and anti-aging properties that help to delay your sign of skin aging such as age spots, wrinkles, sagging skin, and fine lines. This green tea benefit makes it most useful for those who wants to delay their aging process. Polyphenol present in green tea help to neutralize the effect of harmful free radicals, which cause damage to the skin and enhance the aging process. You can make a face mask.
- Mix 3 tablespoon of plain yogurt with 1 tablespoon of ground green tea leaves with a little turmeric powder.
- Then apply this mixture on your face and neck and rinse after 20 minutes with the lukewarm water.
- Use this face mask one or twice in a week.
- You can also simply mix 1 teaspoon of green tea with a few drops of water to make a paste.
- If you have the dry skin so you can also add 1 teaspoon of green tea and half teaspoon of extra-virgin coconut oil with warm water.
- Apply it on your face and leave it until it dries completely
- Then rinse it off from your face with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this few times a week.
3.) Use Green Tea to Improve Brain Function
Green tea not only helps to keep you awake but also make you smarter. The key ingredient is caffeine which is known as the stimulant. Green tea doesn’t contain caffeine as much as coffee, but it is enough to produce a response without causing jittery effect, which happens due to too much caffeine in coffee.
- Many people who drink green tea reports that they feel a more stable energy and being much more productive when they drink green tea as compared to coffee.
- Green tea not only has caffeine but also has amino acid L- theanine, which is able to cross the blood-brain barrier. L- theanine also increases the activity of neurotransmitter GABA inhibitor, which has anti-anxiety effects. It also increases the production of alpha waves and dopamine in the brain. Studies have shown that the combination of caffeine and L- theanine improves the brain function.
- Caffeine block the neurotransmitter inhibitor called adenosine. This way it increases the firing of neurons and the concentration of neurotransmitters. Caffeine leads to various aspects of brain function, vigilance, mood improved, reaction time and memory.
4.) Reduce Risk of Heart Disease
A review of the study published in the Journal of the American Medial Association in 2016, concluded that the green tea consumption is related to reduced mortality to the many causes including cardiovascular diseases. Reducing the risk of heart disease is one of the main green tea benefits.
- Research done on 40,000 Japanese participants between the age of 40 to 80 for the 11 years found that those who used to drink 5 cups of green tea per day had a significantly lower risk of dying mainly from the cardiovascular disease than who used to drink only one cup of tea.
- Catechins and polyphenolic compound present in green tea help to protect from many diseases including cardiovascular disease.
5.) Bioactive Compound in Green Tea
Green tea has many types of bioactive compound and this is one of main green tea benefits. It is also full with polyphenols like catechins and flavonoids which works as powerful antioxidants. These substances reduce the formation of free radical in the body and help to protect cells and molecule from damage. These free radicals are responsible for the aging or diseases.
- Epigallocatechin gallate is the most powerful compound in green tea which has been studied to treat various diseases. It is the one main reason, green tea has such powerful medical properties.
- Green tea riches with a small amount of minerals that is important for health. Try to buy a higher quality brand green tea because some of the lower quality brands contain a high amount of fluoride.
6.) Green Tea Lowers Risk of Alzheimer
Green tea has many benefits among which lowering the risk of Alzheimer is one of the main advantages. Researchers tested the effect of a component of green tea, to see how CAGTE affect after digesting on the key protein of Alzheimer’ disease. The study showed that the high concentration of CATGE protects the cells from the toxic effect of amyloid- beta protein.
- However, Alzheimer’s society commented on this research that, it might help to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease but researcher used a far higher dose of the green tea chemical than it would ever be found in the human body.
- More research is needed to be done to see whether green tea is also protective at the lower dose or not.
- Researchers also found that a molecule in green tea may help to prevent from misfolding of protein in brain
7.) Reduce Risk of Type II Diabetes
Type II diabetes has become the main problem for the today’s world and now 300 million people are affected by it. This disease elevates your blood sugar level and inability to make insulin. Studies have shown that green tea helps to improve insulin and reduce blood sugar levels. This is one of the main green tea benefits.
- One study was conducted on the Japenese individuals. It found that those who drink more green tea have 42% lower risk or developing type II diabetes.
- A Study conducted on approximately 29,000 individuals, those who drink green tea had 18% lower risk of becoming diabetic.
8.) Treat Ache and Pimples
Catechin present in green tea antibacterial agents that help to fight acne causing bacteria. It even helps to regulate hormonal imbalances in the body. The anti-inflammatory property of the green tea helps to reduce redness and inflammation caused by acne.
- A study published in the journal of investigative dermatology shows that epigallocatechin-3- gallate is present in green tea. It helps to treat acne by modulating intracellular molecular inhibits acnes bacteria. You can make a paste to get rid of acne and pimples.
- Mix ¼ cup each of fresh green tea and water.
- Apply this solution on the affected area by using a cotton ball and rinse off your face with cool water after 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this activity twice a day and make your face acne or a pimple free.
9.) Reduce Fat from Green Tea
Green tea is there in almost all fat burning supplement. It increases the metabolic rate and fat burning. This green tea benefit makes it popular to use on a daily basis.
- One study conducted on 10 healthy men, found that green tea increased energy by 4% and another study showed that oxidation was increased by 17%, indicating that green tea increases the burning of fat.
- Green tea is also helpful in preventing dental cavities, chronic fatigue, stress treating the skin condition and improving arthritis by reducing inflammation.
10.) Improves Dental Health
Catechins found in green tea have many biological effects. Studies have shown that it can kill bacteria and inhibit viruses like influenza and can lower the risk of infection. Streptococcus mutan is the harmful bacteria found in mouth inherit by catechins. It is mainly responsible for the formation of plaque and contributes to the formation of cavities and tooth day. Green tea also helps to reduce bad breath.