High blood pressure, or hypertension, is one of the leading health conditions present today. A person is diagnosed with hypertension when the blood pressure reading is at 140/90mm Hg or higher. The biggest problem of having high blood pressure is the amount of physical strain that is put on the heart and blood vessels. This increases the possibility of a heart attack or stroke. Fortunately, there are many ways to lower blood pressure naturally.
Causes of High Blood Pressure:
Numerous studies conducted by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention indicate that approximately one out of three adults in the United States is affected by this condition. Hypertension occurs depending on two main aspects – the quality of the blood that is pumping through your veins, and how narrow your arteries are.
- Diet high in salt intake
- Excessive smoking, like chain-smoking
- High and constant levels of stress
- Chronic kidney disease
- Excessive alcohol intake
Symptoms of High Blood Pressure:
Hypertension is regarded as a “silent killer” in the medical community. This is because there are no absolute symptoms or signs to indicate an individual may be suffering from this condition. So it is beneficial to take blood pressure readings if you frequently experience any one or a combination of the following:
- Shortness of breath (most common)
- Severe headache
Ways to Lower Blood Pressure Naturally:
There are many methods that exist to combat hypertension. However, using medication can cause your body to become dependent. This may allow for further complications to rise in the future. Fortunately, it is not hard to lower blood pressure naturally. It may require you to adapt your lifestyle to the needs of your body and health. But in the long run, this ensures an early prevention of many other complications as well.
1.) Cardamom to Lower Blood Pressure Fast
Cardamom is an excellent remedy to lower blood pressure naturally. It is unclear exactly how cardamom works. However, studies conducted have shown that a regular intake of this spice helps to regulate blood pressure. In fact, specific studies revealed that taking 1 teaspoon of powdered cardamom in just one week dramatically altered high blood pressure. The best way to harness the benefits of this spice is to include it in your diet.
- For this remedy, you will need 1 teaspoon of 1 teaspoon cardamom pods, 2 teaspoons fresh ginger (minced), 1 black tea bag, and ½ cup milk.
- Pour the milk and ½ cup water into a saucepan.
- Crush the cardamom pods and add along with the ginger into the saucepan.
- Bring this to a boil, then simmer for 5-10 minutes. Strain into a mug and add a dash of honey for flavor.
2.) Lower High Blood Pressure with Garlic
Another wonder food that can help lower blood pressure naturally is garlic. Consumption of garlic promotes the production of nitric oxide and hydrogen sulfide in our body. These chemicals help to relax strained blood cells. In addition, garlic is a good way to regulate cholesterol levels also.
- To harness these benefits you simply need to eat 1-2 crushed cloves of garlic every day.
- You can eat them straight by crushing it with your hands first. If the taste of raw garlic is too strong and pungent, take it with a glass of milk.
- Alternatively, mix 5-6 drops of garlic juice with 4 teaspoons of water. Take this 2 times a day.
- Also, you can flavor your meals with garlic.
3.) Treat High Blood Pressure with Coconut Water
Coconut oil is lauded for its many benefits and is successfully used in innumerable natural remedies. But the oil isn’t the only part of this wonder nut that is beneficial for health. Coconut water can effectively help to lower blood pressure naturally. It contains potassium and magnesium, both which aid to regulate systolic blood pressure.
- To benefit from this prepare 8 ounces of fresh coconut water for yourself.
- Drink this twice a day, once in the morning and once in the night.
- After it seems like your blood pressure is more or less regular, take it once a day or once every other day. It is best taken in the morning.
4.) Beetroot to Regulate High Blood Pressure
Beetroots are another good food to help lower blood pressure naturally. This root vegetable contains a nitrate compound that is helpful to control hypertension. Once ingested, this compound converts into nitric oxide. This helps to expand constricted arteries and hence, regulates the blood pressure. In addition, this function helps to reduce the risk of strokes or heart attacks.
- There are many ways to incorporate beetroot into your diet. Drink a glass of fresh beetroot juice once every day.
- Add this vegetable to your meals. You can do this by making a delicious salad or soup.
- Any type of beetroot will help to regulate blood pressure. But red beetroot seems especially relevant to combat blood-related issues.
5.) Lower Blood Pressure Naturally with Cinnamon
This spice is one of the most effective ways to lower blood pressure naturally. Cinnamon is considered to be an invaluable item for home remedies. In a few recent clinical studies, it was observed that consuming cinnamon for even a short span significantly lowered the blood pressure readings.
- For this remedy, you will need a ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder and 1 tablespoon of organic honey.
- Mix together these 2 items and eat it once a day. If you do not want to eat this directly, then mix it into a cup of hot tea and drink.
- You can also sprinkle cinnamon powder or shavings into your meals and drinks.
6.) Lemons to Lower Blood Pressure Naturally
Lemons are packed with antioxidants and Vitamin C. These help to oxygenate red blood cells and regulate high blood pressure. Therefore, lemons are a good remedy to lower blood pressure naturally. The potassium and sodium content in a lemon aids in regulating high blood pressure.
- For this remedy, you require 1 medium lemon and 8 ounces of plain water.
- Heat the water till it is a little warm. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into this water and stir. Drink it once a day, in the morning before breakfast.
- You can even make lemon-infused water to sip on throughout the day. Simply slice a few lemons and add into a bottle/jug of water. Muddle it and leave to infuse for a few hours.
7.) Reduce Blood Pressure with Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are a good home remedy to regulate high blood pressure. Fenugreek seeds are packed with potassium and dietary fiber. These compounds help to lower blood pressure naturally. Follow this remedy for 3 months and observe the significant improvement in blood pressure levels.
- You will need 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds and 1 cup of water.
- Boil the water and in the measure of fenugreek seeds. Leave it to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once the essence has been leached into the water, strain the solution. Drink this solution 3 times a day.
8.) Blueberries to Control High Blood Pressure
This summer fruit is a rich source of flavonoids known as anthocyanins. This is a compound that helps to prevent hypertension. In addition, the antioxidants present in blueberries are useful to maintain artery flexibility. Hence, this is a good way to lower blood pressure naturally.
- The best way to harness the benefits of this fruit is to incorporate it into your diet.
- Add blueberries to your cereal or dessert. Blueberries in yogurt is a good healthy snack.
- If fresh blueberries are unavailable, then frozen blueberries work just as well.
9.) Lower High Blood Pressure with Salt
One reason for high blood pressure to be so common is because of the sheer amount of sodium we consume every day. It seems like table salt is the main culprit for this, but in reality, we spend our days consuming large amounts of hidden sodium. This is present in all processed foods. While it is important to monitor your sodium intake, it just may not be possible to look at all the food labels. Take these steps to help lower blood pressure naturally.
- Eliminate table salt from your pantry. There is enough natural sodium present in food to sustain our needs. Alternatively, use herbs and spices to season your food for flavor.
- Cut down on processed foods as much as possible. Cut out junk food completely. These contain the most hidden sodium.
10.) Exercise to Regulate High Blood Pressure
A healthy diet is required to regulate blood pressure. But in order to have a healthy lifestyle, regular physical activity is also necessary. Exercise is very helpful to naturally regulate high blood pressure, lowering it by 4-9 mm Hg in just a week. It is important to be consistent as completely halting your exercise could have your blood pressure shooting up again. Follow these simple exercises and tips to regulate hypertension.
- Exercise for 30 minutes, at least 5 times a week.
- Best exercises to lower blood pressure include walking, cycling, jogging, or swimming.
- Perform yoga to relax your body and mind.