This article is about potassium rich foods. Potassium is an essential nutrient which is used to maintain fluid and balanced electrolyte in the body. Potassium is the third most abundant mineral in the body and a necessary for the function of several organs including the heart, brain, kidneys and muscular tissue. It also plays an important role in keeping the body hydrated and work with sodium to support cellular function with your bodies sodium potassium pump.
Deficiency of potassium can cause your symptoms like severe headaches, heart palpitations, dehydration, and swelling of glands and tissues. Potassium deficiency can also lead to irritability, fatigue, muscle cramps, weight gain, cellulite buildup, increased blood pressure. The main culprit behind low-level of potassium is going cardiovascular exercise without proper hydration, diarrhea, vomiting and a diet low in vegetables and fruit. The current percent daily value for potassium is 3500 mg/day. Here is the list of potassium rich foods.
Potassium Rich Foods:
1.) Spinach- Rich in Potassium
Spinach is a very essential for your body there is no surprise that it potassium rich foods. It contains about 466 mg of potassium which is about 13% potassium of your daily recommendation.
- When you are eating spinach you should go for organic because spinach leaves are very absorbent. But when they grew conventionally, they soak up herbicides and pesticides like a sponge and hold onto them until you eat it and break it down. If you are choosing one veggie so nothing can be healthier than spinach
- It is a good idea to add spinach on your plate because it is not just only high in potassium but it is also high in iron and fiber as well as other essential vitamin and minerals.
- If you are not very fond of the taste, so you add spinach in your smoothie. On the other hand, it is a default ingredient in a green smoothie.
2.) Lima Beans- Potassium Rich Foods
It doesn’t matter if is cooked or uncooked, beans are high in potassium. They contain about 508mg potassium which is 14% of your daily recommendation. Some of the potassium is lost during the cooking process, but if you will see overall it is your best if you are looking to get more potassium into your diet. they are also a good way to balance your blood sugar level. They are slow digesting food and help avoid spikes.
- It helps to keep you full for longer period. They are also a good source of fiber and often used in weight loss. You will also get extra benefits to eating beans.
- Beans are a versatile food that make a great side dish to any meat-based meal. You can add beans to soups and chilis. They also add more texture and flavour to the dish.
3.) Kale- Good Source of Potassium
Kale is not only potassium rich foods but it is also a good source of an essential mineral. It contains about 491 mg protein which full your 14% recommendation of potassium. All the leafy vegetables are high in potassium that they are in demand. Kale it also a rich source of Vitamin A and C, magnesium and calcium and even a good source of protein.
- There are many different types of kale so be to which one you need to pick. You can try out several types so that you will know which one is best for you. Curly kale is the most common.
- You can swap kale with spinach in order to shake the things. You can also make kale chips as and healthy alternative to potato chips. Baby kale makes a great base for a salad.
4.) Salmon- Potassium Rich Foods
Salmon and other fish are a great source of potassium and also a rich source of protein and omega 3s. salmon contain about 460 mg of potassium which is about 13 % of your daily recommendation.
- If you are picky about the quality of the salmon you are eating, so go with wild caught Alaskan salmon for the most benefit to your body. Try to avoid farm raised salmon as they contain enough chemicals to ruin the benefits you get from it.
- Adding salmon to your diet is a good choice because it is not just only rich in potassium but also contain plenty of protein and full of omega 3s content.
- Salmon is most often consumed as the main entrée of a meal. You can try to make your own sushi using salmon. You can make a salmon avocado sushi roll for a plenty of potassium and flavour.
5.) Avocado- Foods High in Potassium
Avocado is a good source of potassium that’s why it is in the category of potassium rich foods. It contains about 485 mg of potassium which flfill your 13% of daily recommendation. Avacoda is a versatile food. You can just simply scoop them out of their shell and eat them whole, or you can blend them up in a smoothie. You can cut them in half pieces and use them as a base for other foods.
- Avocados have a lot more than just potassium. It is also a good source of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat. It also contains fiber. You can get healthy fat from this food.
- It is easy to eat more avocado because you can add them to other foods.
6.) Mushroom- Potassium Rich Foods
This will be very surprising for your to know that mushroom also provides the same amount of potassium as banana provide. There are many types of mushroom and they all carry a different level of potassium. But all of them have potassium. Mushroom provide about 356 mg of protein which is about 10% of your daily recommendation.
- You can try a new type of mushroom daily, but if you are not very fond of it so you can go for regular white mushroom. You can take shiitake mushroom as they also provide other heath benefits besides potassium.
- Add mushroom to any of your dishes to increase the flavour of and potassium content. Mushroom are mostly famous in pizza topping. If you will go for Portobello mushroom so you can get potential meat replacement because of its texture and heft.
7.) Banana- Loaded with Potassium
It is very common as everyone knows banana is a rich source of potassium. It can about 358 mg of potassium which is about 10 of your daily recommendation. One medium side banana provides about 12% of your daily value in potassium. It is one of the best potassium rich foods.
- It is not only a good source of potassium but it also a good source of fiber, Vitamin B-6, magnesium and vitamin C. This is lot of just one fruit. Banana is naturally sweet and tasty so it will not be hard for you to add it in your diet.
- You can bring banana anywhere and can eat is easily anywhere. It provides instant energy to your body if feel weakness. if you want to eat them at your home so you can add it to your oatmeal.
8.) Broccoli- Potassium Rich Foods
Broccoli has many health benefits. There is nothing can be good than adding broccoli in your diet. It will not only provide you an enough amount of potassium but it will also provide you plenty of protein as well as other essential nutrients. Broccoli contains about 316 mg of potassium which is 9% of your daily recommendation. It is also a good source of vitamin C.
- Broccoli is often used as a side dish, but you can use it as your main dish. Always go for fresh or frozen organic broccoli and cook until it gets tender. Cook not moe than 10 minutes because you will end up cooking off its vitamin and mineral.
- It is possible that some people will not like the taste of broccoli but it is a vegetable and you can cook it in a number of ways. You can roast it, which will give you an amazing flavour and softens it up to perfection.
9.) Cantaloupe- Potassium Rich Foods
Eating cantaloupe is a delicious way to get potassium. This is available in summer time. It has a sweet and succulent taste. Cantaloupe contains about 267 mg of potassium which is about 7% of your daily recommendation.
- It is also a rich source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C that are antioxidant and help to fight free the radical damage that takes place in the body daily.
- If you are working on losing weight then you should take care of the amount of cantaloupe you consume per serving. It is bit high in sugar so you can gain weight. sugar content present in cantaloupe can turn into fat if you will eat it in high amount.
- You can add this to your fruit smoothie in the summer.
10.) Beets- Potassium Rich Foods
Beets and beet green are both the rich source of potassium. Beet is a vegetable which is consumed during the winter months.
- Beet green is a bit bitter but if you can add them in a smoothie or as a salad topper. It will provide you more potassium than any other food. This the main reason it is on the list of high potassium foods. Beets contain about 305 mg of potassium which is 8% of your daily recommendation.
- The betalains in beets are a bigger reason to add them to your diet than the potassium content. This is an antioxidant primarily found in beets and provide you many heath benefits.