This article is about home remedies for pink eye. Also known, as conjunctivitis, it is a common eye infection. Anyone can get pink eye but school children, teachers, and daycare workers are more at risk because of the close proximity with others. It is an inflammation of the conjunctiva, a mucous membrane that lines the eye surface and becomes more visible. It is caused by a viral infection or a bacterial infection.
Pink eye is contagious and affects your vision as well. During the infection you might feel itching, redness, swelling or watery eyes. Pink eye can be triggered by allergens like smoke, air pollution, pollen, dust mites, makeup or eye drops used by the people. If you want to treat your pink eye, read this article and get some home remedies for pink eye.
Symptoms of Pink Eye:
- Watery eyes
- A gritty feeling
- Sore throat
Causes of Pink Eye:
- A foreign object in the eye.
- A chemical splash in the eye.
Best Home Remedies for Pink Eye Treatment:
1.) Black Coffee for Pink Eye Treatment
This is one of the most worthy remedies for pink eye treatment at home. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat the infection.
- Boil a cup of water and add a few beans of the black coffee into it.
- Steep it for a while. Leave it at the room temperatures so that the water can cool down and you can use it.
- Use the mixture to rinse your affected eye.
- Do this 2 times a day for the coming days.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Pink Eye Fast
The antimicrobial properties in apple cider vinegar help to fight an infection that causes pink eye. The malic acid in apple cider vinegar fights against bacterial infections. This is wonderful remedy for treating boils and pimples as well
Directions to Use Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Add 2 tsp of organic apple cider vinegar to a cup of filtered water.
- Dip a cotton cloth or cotton ball in this solution.
- Close the infected eye and clean it with the cotton cloth or cotton ball.
- Follow this remedy in every few hours for 2 to 3 days.
- You can also put a drop of this solution in the infected eye.
3.) Cold or Warm Compress to Get Rid of a Pink Eye Fast
A cold compress or hot compress is best to ease the swelling and itching which is caused by pink eye. Both the compresses help to soothe the eyes. It helps to prevent the discharge from your eyes from drying out on your lashes.
Directions to Use Warm Compress or Cold Compress:
- Soak a clean cloth in cold or hot water and squeeze out the excess water.
- Place this cloth on the infected eye. Keep it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat this process 3 or 4 times in a day.
4.) Eyebright to Treat Pink Eye Fast
Eyebright is one of the best home remedies for pink eye. It contains antibacterial and astringent properties. It is very effective herb for eye problems such as a stye, pink eye, strained eyes, bloodshot and watery eyes. Learn more how to get rid of a black eye.
Directions to Use Eyebright:
- Heat up a cup of water first and then let it cool down. Then add 5 drops of eyebright tincture to it. Wash your eyes with this solution.
- Another method is to add 1 tsp of eyebright herb in a cup of water and boil it for ten minutes. Let it cool and then strain the solution. Wash your eyes with this solution and you can also add rose water. Repeat this process in every 4 hours.
- You can also steep equal parts of eyebright and chamomile in boiling water. Let it cool, strain it and use this solution as a mouthwash.
- A mixture of 1 tbsp of boiled water, 2 tbsp of rose water and 2 drops of eyebright tincture can also be applied in a compress to treat pink eye.
5.) Saline Solution to Cure a Pink Eye
Saline solution is also one of the best remedies for pink eye. It works as a natural disinfectant. It helps to treat the symptoms of conjunctivitis that are itching, redness, swelling and inflammation.
Directions to Use Saline Solution:
- Boil a cup of water and add one-half to one tsp of salt to it.
- Let it cool and then use it as an eyewash with a dropper or an eyecup.
- Repeat this remedy many times a day.
- Mix one tbsp of sea salt in a cup of hot water. Put 2 to 3 drops of this solution in the corner of the infected eye with the help of an eyedropper. Do it many times in a day.
6.) Calendula to Treat Pink Eye Fast and Naturally
Calendula is a herb which contains antibacterial and antiviral properties that help to fight infection and heal pink eye. It helps to soothe irritation and eye discomfort due to its anti-inflammatory. This it is one of the great remedies for pink eye.
Directions to Use Calendula:
- Steep 2 tsp of dried calendula flowers in a cup of boiling water.
- Let it cool and strain it through a cheesecloth or a clean paper coffee filter.
- Wash your eyes with this solution many times in a day.
- You can also dip a washcloth in this herbal solution while it is still warm and use it as a warm compress.
7.) Boric Acid to Get Rid of a Pink Eye Fast
Boric acid is the best remedy for a number of eye problems like dryness, burning sensation, tearing and redness because it has antifungal and antibacterial properties. It helps to soothe irritation in the eyes and cleanses the eyes.
Directions to Use Boric Acid:
- Heat up a cup of water and mix it with 1 tsp of boric acid.
- Use this solution to wash your eyes or you can apply it with cotton or ball or a clean washcloth.
- Use lukewarm water to rinse your eyes.
- Follow this remedy 2 or 3 times in a day.
8.) Black Tea to Treat Pink Eye Fast
Black tea is the best home remedy for pink eye treatment because it contains tannins that help to reduce inflammation and itching. It also controls bacterial and viral infections due to the presence of bioflavonoids.
Directions to Use Black Tea:
- Place cooled and moist black teabags on your eyes for at least ten minutes.
- Do it 3 or 4 times a day, in every few hours. Using chamomile tea bags or green tea is also helpful for treating pink eye.
- A solution of black tea is also good for the pink eye. You can use it as an eyewash.
9.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Pink Eye Overnight
Aloe vera has several health benefits due to its antibiotic and astringent properties. So, it is one of the natural remedies for pink eye. This will also help to cure the dark circles and the puffiness around.
Directions to Use Aloe Vera:
- Soak chunks of fresh Aloe Vera gel in a cup of cooled and boiled water until it turns pale green. You can also blend it with water in a blender.
- Now put a few drops of this mixture in the infected eye, 3 or 4 times in a day. You can also use it as an eyewash.
10.) Milk and Honey to Treat a Pink Eye Fast
A mixture of honey and warm milk will help to soothe and treat pink eye naturally. Milk calms the inflammation and has a soothing effect and honey contain antimicrobial properties.
Directions to Use Milk and Honey:
- Slightly warm 1 tbsp of whole milk and mix it in an equal amount of organic honey and stir it until it becomes smooth.
- Put 2 or 3 drops of this mixture in the infected eye with an eyedropper.
- Do it many times in a day.
11.) Breast Milk to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Breast milk is one of the best home remedies for pink eye. The milk contains healing properties that help to treat minor illnesses including ear infections and pink eye. It is a great remedy for newborns
Directions to Use Breast Milk:
- Put a few drops of breast milk in the pink eye.
- Use it as needed.
12.) Castor Oil to Get Rid of Pink
Another home remedy that can help you to deal with pink eye is castor oil. It reduces the eye irritation. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help to curtail the inflammation. Moreover, it inhibits the growth of the bacteria that leads to conjunctivitis. However, it is vicious in nature so one or two drops will be enough to get a hold on the pink eye. To prevent the infection from getting severe use it on the onset of the symptoms only. Not only this, it is an amazing remedy for hair growth.
- Pour some castor oil in the dropper and then put a single drop in your infected eye.
- Or, spread the castor oil on both the eyelids. Make sure it does not get into the eyes.
- Do this before going to the bed.
13.) Coconut Oil to Cure Pink Eye at Home
It is a staple ingredient in most of the household. Coconut oil is one of the best remedies for pink eye. It not only moisturise the area around, in fact, it also inhibits the growth of the bacteria. In addition to it cures the inflammation and redness as well.
Directions to Use Coconut Oil:
- Gently rub coconut oil around the eyes.
- Do this 2-3 times a day until you get satisfactory results.
- Do not apply pressure while applying the oil in the eyelids.
- Try to use virgin coconut oil since it eludes all the preservatives and chemicals.
14.) Silver Eye Drops for Pink Eye Treatment
Silver eye drops are considered one of the best remedies for pink eye and other eye diseases. It is packed with the ingredients and property that comes handy to deal with the pink eye.
Directions to Use Coconut Oil:
- Put silver eye drops through a dropper in your eyes.
- Within 24 hours you will get satisfactory results.
15.) Treat Pink Eye with Turmeric
Turmeric is a staple ingredient in most of the kitchens. It is a natural antibiotic thus you can use it to treat pink as well.
Directions to Use Turmeric:
- Take a half cup of boiling water. Leave it at the room temperature.
- Once it cools down, add a tablespoon of turmeric and dash of table salt.
- Dip a clean washcloth into it, squeeze the cloth and compress it over the eye.
- Leave it on for a few minutes and then wash your eyes off.
- Repeat this twice a day until the infection is gon completely.