This article is about the home remedies for toothache. It is the most horrifying pain that everyone has ever experienced. Toothache is very annoying. It occurs due to several reasons such as gum disease, exposed tooth root, a cracked tooth, dental cavity or a loose filling. It usually occurs at the time of a cavity or if there is an infection in your gums. A toothache happens when the central region of your tooth which is known as the pulp becomes inflamed or irritated. The pulp consists of many nerve endings which are highly sensitive.
During a toothache, the person has a problem while eating something and while breathing as well. If you have severe pain then you should go to a doctor. But if the pain can be treated at home then use some home remedies for toothache. Read this article, get some useful tips to keep toothache at bay.
Symptoms of Toothache:
- Pain during bite
- Swelling around the tooth
- Difficulty while breathing or swallowing
Causes of Toothache:
- Infection in teeth
- Abnormal bite
- Gum diseases
- Grinding teeth
- Tooth eruption
- Tooth trauma
Home Remedies for Toothache:
1.) Clove Oil to Get Rid of Toothache
Clove is an ancient remedy used for treating toothache. It has a natural anesthetic known as eugenol that helps to numb the pain. It also contains antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which help to fight infection and reduce the pain.
Directions to Use Clove Oil:
- Take a cotton ball and pour one to two drops of oil on it.
- Apply it on your affected tooth.
- You can also place a whole clove or powdered clove on the tooth. Chew the clove slowly so that it releases the oil and keep it for half an hour or until the pain is gone.
- Another method is, add a few drops of clove oil in half a glass of water and use it as a mouthwash.
2.) Salt Water to Treat Toothache Fast
Salt water is one of the best home remedies for toothache treatment.It also helps to clean the infected area, loosen the debris and provide temporary relief. The cleansing effect of salt helps to remove bacteria or pus and provide relief.
Directions to Use Salt Water:
- Take 1 tsp of salt and dissolve it in a cup of boiling water that works as a pain killing mouthwash.
- Swish this saline solution for 30 seconds and then spit it out.
- Repeat it as often as needed.
3.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Cure Toothache
Hydrogen peroxide is just like salt water. It is a cleansing agent but it is more effective than a saline solution because it helps to kill bacteria.
Directions to Use Hydrogen Peroxide:
- Mix equal parts of hydrogen peroxide in water and swish this solution in your mouth for a few seconds.
- Repeat it once or twice in a day.
4.) Peppermint Tea for Toothache Treatment
Peppermint is commonly used to calm sensitive skin. The numbing properties in peppermint are useful for treating toothache.
Directions to Use Peppermint Tea:
- You can use peppermint tea bags in 2 ways. First, place a cooled tea bag on the affected tooth. Second, place the tea bag in the freezer for some time then place it on your tooth. Keep it for at least 20 minutes.
- You can also prepare peppermint tea by adding 1 tsp of dried peppermint leaves in a cup of boiling water and allow it to steep for 20 minutes.
5.) Ginger to Get Relief from Toothache Naturally
Ginger is one of the best home remedies for toothache treatment. Ginger helps to relieve many ailments. It helps to soothe a headache and calm the pain associated with a toothache as well. The antibacterial properties of ginger help to treat minor infections.
Directions to Use Ginger:
- Place a small of piece of ginger in your mouth and chew it slowly.
- Another method is, prepare a ginger tea by adding ginger in a cup of boiling water. Then drink slowly to get the relief from the pain.
6.) Ice to Treat Toothache Fast
Ice is one of the best home remedies for toothache. It helps to eliminate the tooth pain by numbing the nerve endings. The cooling effect of ice will treat your toothache. It will also reduce inflammation, swelling and fight the bacteria causing toothache.
Directions to Use Ice:
- Take a thin cotton cloth and wrap a small ice cube in it.
- Place it on your cheek near the affected tooth for a few minutes.
- An acupressure technique can also help to ease tooth pain. Rub an ice cube between your thumb and index finger for a few minutes.
- Do not place an ice cube directly on the affected tooth.
7.) Garlic to Cure Toothache Naturally and Fast
Garlic is also one of the best home remedies for toothache treatment. It provides immense relief from toothache due to the presence of antibiotic and other medicinal properties in it. It is very effective in reducing the pain and controls the growth of bacteria in your tooth as well.
Directions to Use Garlic:
- Crush a garlic clove and add some table salt or black salt to it.
- Apply this garlic paste to your affected tooth to reduce the pain.
- You can also chew 1 or 2 cloves of garlic to get relief from the pain.
- Repeat this natural treatment for some days.
8.) Onion to Get Rid of Toothache Fast
Onion contains medicinal properties such as antimicrobial and antiseptic properties which control toothache. It kills the germs causing an infection and provides relief from the pain as well.
Directions to Use Onion:
- Chew raw onion for a few minutes to relieve the pain in the tooth.
- If you can’t chew it then you can place a piece of raw onion directly on the gum or the affected tooth.
9.) Guava Leaves to Cure Toothache Fast and Naturally
Fresh guava leaves are the best natural remedy to get relief from toothache as it contains analgesic, antimicrobial as well as anti-inflammatory properties.
Directions to Use Guava Leaves:
- Simply chew 1 or 2 guava leaves until it releases the juice. Spinach leaves also work the same way as guava leaves.
- Another method is, place 4 to 5 guava leaves in water and then boil it. Let the solution to cool to a warm temperature and then add some salt. Use it as a mouthwash.
10.) Vanilla Extract for Toothache Treatment
Vanilla extract is one of the popular home remedies for toothache. There is an active ingredient in the vanilla extract that is alcohol which acts as a numbing agent. It helps to numb the pain and treat a toothache. It also has a calming and soothing effect due to its scent.
Directions to Use Vanilla Extract:
- Dip a cotton ball in vanilla extract and apply it on the affected area.
- Do it many times in a day until you get relief from the pain.
- Before brushing your teeth, clean your teeth with mouthwash.
- Brush your teeth daily to keep your mouth and teeth clean and healthy to prevent toothache.
- Don’t eat hard food like nuts when suffering from toothache.
- Drink a cup of ginger tea in every few hours.
- Floss your teeth daily to prevent toothache.
- You can also take painkillers such as Ibuprofen and Aspirin which provide quick relief from a minor toothache.
- If the problem persists then consult your doctor.