In this article, we will discuss ways to get rid of a hangover. The after-effects of drinking alcohol in excess are known as a hangover. It can be both psychological and physiological and is generally experienced the next morning after a night of heavy boozing. Different people will experience different effects of overdoing. But some of the most common symptoms of a hangover are listed below.
Symptoms of Hangover
- Accelerated heartbeat
- Body pain
- Bad breath
- Body pain
- Sensitivity to loud sounds
- Stomach pain
- Erratic motor functions
Apart from causing a hangover, drinking alcohol also causes dehydration and, if consumed in excess, the toxic effects can harm your liver, gastrointestinal system, brain, central nervous system and sensory perception.
The only actual solution for a hangover is time. However, there are also some simple tips which can help relieve some of the symptoms and promote fast recovery from a hangover.
Tips to Get Rid of a Hangover:
1.) Water to Get Rid of a Hangover
Drinking a lot of water is an ideal solution to get rid of hangover symptoms. Alcohol reduces water from the body. Therefore you need to re-hydrate yourself by drinking water at regular and frequent intervals. Also, water helps in diluting the impurities left in the stomach.
- Make sure that you drink at least eight to ten glasses of water throughout the day.
- Apart from water, you can also drink a few glasses of electrolyte-replenishing sports beverages.
- NOTE: Do not drink caffeinated beverages, as they also contribute to dehydration.
2.) Lemon to Get Rid of a Hangover
Lemon can also help you get rid of the after-effects of excessive boozing such as dizziness, queasiness, sensitivity to sound and light, and muscle pain. It helps rebalance your body by controlling the blood sugar level and regulating the pH level.
- Take two teaspoons of fresh lemon juice, one teaspoon of honey and add them to a glass of warm water.
- Mix well and drink it down slowly.
- Do this as soon as you wake up, as well as two or three times more throughout the day.
3.) Honey to Get Rid of a Hangover
Honey is another excellent solution for getting rid of hangover symptoms. Being a rich source of potassium, honey helps by counteracting the effects of drinking excessive alcohol. In addition to this, honey also contains fructose, which is a type of sugar that helps in metabolizing the extra alcohol in your body. This, in turn, reduces the hangover symptoms.
- Take three to four teaspoons of honey at an interval of one hour until the hangover symptoms are minimized.
- You can also put one or two tablespoons of honey in one cup of water, and drink it slowly several times throughout the day.
- Alternatively, you can also spread honey over a piece of dry toast and eat it several times during a hangover.
4.) Toast and Egg to Get Rid of a Hangover
Eating a few slices of plain toast with an egg is another fine method to get over hangover symptoms. The carbohydrates in toast are an excellent source of recovery nutrients.
Also, the carbon in the charred part of the toast works like a filter to help your body get rid of the impurities. On the other hand, egg provides cysteine which helps break down the alcohol in the body and reduces its toxicity.
- Have a breakfast of two to three pieces of toast and eggs in the morning after a night of heavy drinking.
- Remember, do not forget to drink one or two glasses of water before eating your breakfast,
5.) Tomato Juice to Get Rid of a Hangover
Drinking a couple glasses of tomato juice can help control hangover symptoms. This tomato vegetable juice has fructose which is a type of sugar that helps your body by metabolizing alcohol more speedily. Also, the tomato is highly rich in the vitamins, minerals, and enzymes which help in fast recovery from the after-effects of drinking.
- Take a glass and pour some fresh tomato juice or soup in it.
- Then, add one tablespoon each of honey, fresh lemon juice, along with a little bit of cayenne pepper.
- Drink this juice once in the morning and once in the afternoon to get rid of a hangover.
6.) Banana to Get Rid of a Hangover
Because of excessive drinking of alcohol, a substantial amount of potassium gets drained out of your body. To help replenish this lost potassium as well as electrolytes, one simple method is to eat bananas. They are an excellent source of potassium. Plus, bananas help relax the stomach and promote your energy level.
- Eat one or two bananas for breakfast after a night of heavy boozing. It will help alleviate symptoms of the hangover.
- You can also go for a banana milkshake sweetened with honey.
7.) Ginger to Get Rid of a Hangover
Ginger is another well-known cure for getting rid of hangover symptoms such as a headache, vomiting, and nausea. Plus, ginger is useful in the eliminating the alcohol from the body. This, in turn, soothes the stomach and provides quick relief.
- Take a few small pieces of ginger and chew them throughout the day to get rid of a hangover. You can also have ginger tea.
- Alternatively, simply add ten to twelve slices of fresh ginger root in about four cups of water.
- Boil it for ten minutes and strain.
- Then add fresh juice of one orange and half lemon. Then add half cup of honey in it.
- Drink this solution while it is still warm. Drink it several times throughout the day.
8.) Peppermint to Get Rid of a Hangover
Peppermint is a very useful herb to overcome hangover symptoms. It helps in soothing digestion and helps relieve tension, nausea and bloating which are the most common symptoms of a severe hangover. Also, peppermint speeds up the process of detoxification.
- In this remedy, you will need to chew some fresh peppermint leaves several times throughout the day. It will help relax the intestines and help you recover faster.
- Prepare a cup of peppermint tea by pouring a cup of boiling water over a teaspoon of dried peppermint. Cover and let it steep for fifteen minutes.
- Strain and drink a couple cups of this herbal tea when you wake up.
- Another alternative is add several drops of peppermint oil in a bathtub filled with warm water.
- Soak yourself in this water for half an hour.
- This soothing bath will help you feel better quickly.
- To treat a headache caused due to a hangover, you can simply apply a cold compress.
9.) Oil Pulling to Get Rid of a Hangover
When you wake up in the morning with a very bad hangover, oil pulling may be the solution to your problem. This solution is a natural detoxifying technique which will help remove harmful toxins from the body.
- Take a tablespoon of coconut oil and swish it around your mouth and through your teeth.
- Do this for around fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Spit the oil out and again rinse your mouth with plain water.
- Do this thing first in the morning on an empty stomach. You need to do it before you even brush your teeth.
- NOTE: Remember! Not to gargle or swallow the oil.
10.) Sleep to Overcome Hangover
Getting a proper sleep is also effective in taking away much of a hangover. After too much drinking, the body does not get a chance to relax properly, which is very necessary for the body to recover.
- You should try to get as much sleep as you can the next day.
- If you are facing difficulty sleeping, you can put on some soothing music and darken the room as much as you can.
- After a good amount of sleep, the symptoms of foggy brain and body will be gone.
Tips for Preventing a Hangover
The only assured solution to get rid of a hangover is to avoid drinking too much of alcohol. However, there are several simple tips which can help you prevent or lessen most hangover symptoms. Some of these tips are mentioned below.
- Never drink alcohol too fast.
- Try not to smoke while drinking as it can irritate your stomach more.
- Do not drink alcohol on an empty stomach.
- Try to keep your meals light and small for the day when you plan to drink.
- Avoid drinking or eating anything sweet while drinking alcohol.
- Walking outside in fresh air can also help you give relief from a hangover.
- Take a warm shower to lower your headache and muscle pain.