If you are battling with bad breath, then the main cause is bad routine. If you suffer from bad breath then you will see people keep their distance from you. So, it is important to identify the cause of bad breath, so that you can treat it easily. Don’t only focus on your teeth. Try to give the tongue a little attention, as it may be loaded with germs and food particles that cause bad breath. Here are some remedies that will help you to get rid of bad breath.
Brushing your teeth will only clean 25% of your mouth. So, it is important to include flossing and rinsing with Listerine mouthwash twice daily. There are several causes of bad breath such as poor oral hygiene, dental cavities, gum disease and coated tongue are among the most common. Several bacteria live in your mouth and some of them on the tongue or below the gumline. Other causes may include dry mouth, malnutrition, sore throat and uncontrolled diabetes. Bad breath is also intermittent. Food and drink such as alcohol, garlic, coffee and onions can cause bad breath.
Causes of Bad Breath:
- Crash dieting
- Food and drink
- Poor oral hygiene
Best Remedies to Get Rid of Bad Breath:
1. Hydrate Yourself to Treat Bad Breath Fast
Drinking enough water is the simplest way to curb bad breath. If your mouth doesn’t have enough moisture to produce saliva then odor causing bacteria may develop. Some side effects from certain medications and diseases may deprive you of that necessary moisture but not getting water can also lead to dry mouth.
Staying hydrated is very important especially before and after heavy exercise. The rapid breath may increase dry mouth. It is a healthy practice in and of itself so be sure to drink water when you wake up. Dry mouth occurs while you are asleep, so hydrating yourself is important in the morning that will help you to remove collected bacteria in the mouth.
2. Brush and Floss to Get Rid of Bad Breath Fast
Brushing your teeth daily along with flossing are the most important thing that you can take to treat bad breath. If you avoid to brush and floss daily then food particles can remain in your mouth that causing bad breath. Brushing your teeth 2 times a day for at least 2 minutes is very helpful.
- Flossing has become an important part of daily oral care and flossing once daily is also helpful.
- Correct flossing after having each meal will help you to cut down on the plaque, bacteria, and other odor-causing food particles. Flossing will also help to stop the periodontal disease, another cause of bad breath.
3. Eat Healthy to Cure Bad Breath Fast and Naturally
There are certain foods like raw garlic or onion that can cause bad breath. Such type of foods, when ingested and excreted by the lungs, causes halitosis. Avoiding high fructose foods and acidic foods like vinegar and sugary cereal help to cut down on bad breath too. Sugars and acids help to increase production of bacteria and bad breath.
- Choose a diet control that curbs odor-causing bacteria and intestinal upset.
- You should maintain sugar intake and choose foods that will help to increase saliva flow including whole grains like brown rice, dark green vegetables, a variety of fruits and proteins such as beans, seeds, nuts and fish.
4. Clean Your Tongue to Prevent Bad Breath Fast
Cleaning your tongue is important to get rid of bad breath. Brushing your teeth is not enough to clean your mouth. Since your tongue contains a lot of surface area which is covered with grooves and textured bumps. Your tongue contains more bacteria than the rest of your mouth. So, removing bacteria from the tongue will help to reduce your bad breath.
- Buy oral brush or other tongue brushes or simply you can use your regular soft bristled toothbrush to clean your tongue.
- You can do tongue brushing to clean your mouth.
5. Mouthwash to Stop Bad Breath
Mouthwash will help to keep your mouth moist and will help to prevent bad breath. Mouthwash helps to reduce plaque and gingivitis and will fresh your breath.
- Choose a mouthwash that contains chlorine dioxide. Several bacteria that cause halitosis live on the back of your tongue. Vigorous swishing with a chlorine dioxide may neutralize those bacteria.
- Try to rinse your mouth with mouthwash before brushing, flossing and scraping or brushing the tongue. This will help you to neutralize any bacteria in your mouth.
6. Cloves to Get Rid of Bad Breath Naturally and Fast
Cloves are one of the best home remedies for bad breath. It helps to freshen your breath due to having antibacterial properties that are beneficial in getting rid of bad breath.
Directions to Use Cloves:
- Place some cloves into your mouth and chew them properly. This will help to reduce bad breath in a few minutes.
- Another method is to prepare a cup of clove tea. Add 1 tsp of ground cloves into a cup of boiling water and let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Drink a cup of clove tea or you can use it as a mouthwash 2 times a day.
7. Lemon Juice to Stop Bad Breath at Home
Rinsing your mouth with lemon is one of the best home remedies for curing bad breath. Due to highly acidic content in lemons helps to prevent the growth of bacteria in your mouth.
Directions to Use Lemon:
- Mix 1 tbsp of lemon juice into a cup of water and wash your mouth with it.
- You can also add a little amount of salt into it and then use it.
- This remedy is really helpful to solve the problem of dry mouth which is the main reason of bad breath.
8. Baking Soda to Cure Bad Breath Fast
Baking soda is another great remedy for getting rid of and preventing bad breath. It will help to balance the levels of acid that leads to bad breath. It will also fight against oral bacteria that causes bad breath.
Directions to Use Baking Soda:
- Warm a glass of water and mix one-half tsp of baking soda and use it as a mouthwash once daily until you are satisfied with the desired results.
- Brushing your teeth with baking soda will help to reduce the acidity in the mouth and prevent bacteria from growing in your tongue.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Bad Breath
Apple cider vinegar is a wonderful home remedy for bad breath due to its pH balancing effects. The acidic content in ACV helps to treat bad breath.
Directions to Use Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Take a glass of water and mix 1 tbsp of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar into it. Consume it after having your meals. It helps in digestion and cures bad breath as well.
- Gargle with diluted apple cider vinegar.
10. Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Bad Breath Naturally and Fast
The antiseptic properties of tea tree oil work like a powerful disinfectant for your mouth. It is very beneficial for your skin and hair as well.
Directions to Use Tea Tree Oil:
- Use toothpaste that contains tea tree oil and brush your teeth with this toothpaste.
- Another method is to put a few drops of this oil on your toothbrush along with your toothpaste.
- You can also mix a few drops of peppermint oil, lemon oil and tea tree oil in a glass of water and use it as a mouthwash.
Additional Tips to Prevent Bad Breath:
- Munch on carrots or apples between your meals to remove food that is stuck in your teeth.
- Check your tonsils very often. If you find some white spots on them then go to a doctor.
- Replace your toothbrush in every 3 months to ensure that no bacteria will build up on its surface.
- Suck on a mint or chew gum after having a meal if you don’t use the toothbrush.
- Reduce the intake of alcohol and coffee because the chemical compounds in these drinks lead to odor-causing bacteria to thrive. If you don’t want to avoid these beverages then after drinking, rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Avoid odorous foods such as garlic, onion, chives and leeks.
- Don’t smoke and don’t chew tobacco products.
- Your mouth is worse due to a dry mouth. Avoid chewing gum as it stimulates saliva production. Mints don’t encourage saliva production.