If you have noticed your cat scratching her fur more than usual then definitely little creatures are crawling on your cat’s skin. Fleas are definitely a nuisance as they can cause an itchy sensation and even can lead to an infection. Anemia is the symptom of fleas in infested pet. Not just in pets, if the infestation are heavy or other host are available, they can invade a household. Immediate treatment is important as these little parasites feed on blood and can transmit harmful diseases to cats and human. There are many over the counter and prescription are available in the market for flea treatment. But these products commonly have side effects. To avoid this you can follow the below-listed remedies to get rid of fleas on cats.
Ways to Get Rid of Fleas on Cats:
1.) Liquid Dish Soap to Kill Fleas
It is a very useful remedy and available at every home. You can use liquid dish soap to treat a flea infestation on your pets and around the house. It helps to kill the fleas. It is particularly good for young kittens and puppies.
- Mix liquid dish soap in a warm water and give a bath to your pet with this solution instead of your pet’s shampoo. Let your pet soak in this soapy solution for 5 to 10 minutes. The fleas will simply fall off when you will rinse your pet. Use this method two to three times a week for two weeks.
- Or you can try another option. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of mild dish soap in a large bowl filled with a few cups of hot water. Dip a flea comb in that solution and comb your pet’s fur. Again Dip the comb in the solution as needed while you work through combing your pet. Follow this process once a day.
- If in case your house is infested by a flea, fill a few bowls with hot water and add few drops of liquid dish soap in them. Put this liquid dish soap bowls in different rooms of your house and place a table lamp over it. Fleas get attracted towards the warmth of the lamp and jump into the water. The soap breaks the surface tension of the water so that the fleas cannot get out and drown in the solution.
2.) Indian Lilac to Get Rid of Fleas on Cats
Indian lilac is a natural ingredient that can help to control a flea infestation. It will help you to get rid of Fleas on cats as well as your house. It is the odor of lilac leaves that helps to get rid of unwanted pests. You can use both the oil and leaf of Indian Lilac.
- Take a handful leaves of Indian Lilac and put it in a 4 cups of hot water. Let it sit overnight. Grind the leaves in the water in the next morning. Strain the mixture through by pouring it in a cheese cloth and then through a filter paper. Then pour the solution in a spray bottle and spray it on your cat. You can also spray it on floor, carpet, bed etc. Repeat as needed.
- Or you can mix 12 drops of Indian lilac oil in one ounce of the spray bottle. Spray this solution on your pet and even in your household things. You can even soak your cat’s collar in this solution for a few hours to get rid of flea infestation, Let it dry on its own, then put it on your cat.
- Or you can dilute neem oil with almond oil or water. Spread this solution on your palms and gently rub it on your cat’s fur.
- You can also add a few drops of neem oil into your pet’s shampoo and use it to bathe your cat.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Reduce Infestation
Apple cider vinegar is very effective to get rid of fleas on cats. It doesn’t kill the fleas, but they dislike both the taste and smell of apple cider vinegar, so they avoid hosts that smell like apple cider vinegar.
- Take equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water and mix them well. Pour this solution into a spray bottle. You can add 2 or 3 drops of cedar oil or lavender to the mixture. If you want. Spray this solution on your pet and be careful to avoid it spraying on your pet’s eyes, nose and ears. Use this solution daily to get rid of fleas on cats.
- If the flea infestation is also in your home, so you can spray in on your windowsills, baseboards, wooden floors, carpets, furniture and other places where you suspect fleas. Use this often.
4.) Lemon to Get Rid of Fleas on Cats
Lemon is a natural and effective remedy to treat a flea infestation. It can help to get rid of any existing fleas and even kill the eggs.
- Take one or two lemons and cut them into thin slices. Place this thin slices into a pan of water. Boil the boil. Turn off the heat and let the solution steep overnight. Strain this solution and pour it into a spray bottle. Spray the solution on your pet and be careful to avoid the eyes, nose and ears.
- Or you can dip a comb or pets brush in this lemon solution. Then comb the fur of your pets and dip the comb or brush in the mixture with every other stroke. Repeat this process once or twice a day.
- You can also spray this lemon solution in your house or the areas where you suspect fleas.
5.) Rosemary to Prevent Fleas
Rosemary works as a natural treatment to get rid of fleas on cats. Fleas are not fond of rosemary. They do not like its taste and smell thus it is an excellent flea repellent.
- You can just simply add two cups of rosemary springs to a large pan of water.
- Boil this water and let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain this rosemary solution.
- Then mix this solution into one gallon of water.
- Pour this solution into the spray bottle.
- Spray rosemary solution to your pets and let them get dry on its own.
- Repeat again until the fleas are gone.
- Or you can grow rosemary in your garden to keep fleas out of your house and garden.
6.) Flea Comb to Get Rid of Fleas on Cats
There is special flea comb available in the market. You can buy that comb or you can also use a fine-toothed comb with very small gaps in between the teeth.
- Flea combs physically lift fleas out of your cat skin.
- Comb your pet from top to bottom. When you will comb your pet, make sure that the comb should reach the cat’s skin. If you will only comb the fur without reaching the skin, some fleas may leave there.
- You have to immediately dip your flea comb into a bucket of soapy water once you remove a flea. This soapy solution will kill the fleas.
7.) Flea Spray to Kill Fleas
There are many flea sprays available in the market. Flea sprays are available in both aerosol and pump bottle forms. Both of them works effectively.
- Prefer choosing a spray because that contains an adulticide and an insect growth regulator. Using this will ensure that both eggs and adult are killed.
- Follow the instructions written on the label for proper use.
- Make sure to use this flea spray in a well-ventilated area and avoid spray it in your dog’s eyes, ear and nose.
- Wear gloves while using this spray to protect yourself.
- When spraying on sensitive areas, such as the face, first spray the product onto your glove and rub it on the cats rather than spraying.
8.) Kill Fleas with Anti-Flea Powder
The anti- flea powder is also an effective remedy to get rid of fleas on cats. You can buy the flea powder without the prescription of a veterinarian.
- Read the instructions on the label before using.
- Usually, apply a powder by dusting a fine layer over your cat’s skin and let it sit on its own.
- Begin at the cats head and then go towards the tail.
- Use flea powder once a week to get rid of fleas on cats.
9.) Wash your Pets Belonging
It is important to keep a close eye on your pets and their belongings because the egg of fleas can be there and again spread the infestation. So regularly clean them.
- Use hot water to wash items used by your pet.
- Wash your pet’s bedding and clothes in the washing machine using hot water and dry them under the sun.
- It is also important to wash and clean everything that your pet likes to regularly lie or sleep on.
- Some of your pet’s items will be very dirty, it’s best to throw them out and purchase new ones.
10.) Lavender Oil to Remove Fleas on Pets
Lavender oil works as a flea repellent. Fleas do not like the smell and taste of the lavender oil. You only need to use few drop of lavender oil to get rid of fleas on cats.
- Wash your cat normally with soap and warm water. Dry the cat using a towel.
- Spread a few drop of lavender oil in your palm and apply it to the base of the tail and the back of your pet. Use your finger to gently massage the oil into your cats.