Protein is essential building blocks that contribute to the growth and development of muscles, ligament, bones, and tissues. Eating plenty of protein has numerous of benefits. Proteins help to fight infections such as metabolism, digestion, and circulation. It can help you to lose weight especially belly fat and increase your muscle mass and strength. Our body needs this macro-nutrient to produce enzymes, hormones, and other body chemicals. Haemoglobin helps in the supply of oxygen to every part of the body. Deficiency of protein can even lead to loss of muscle tissue, a weak heart and can weak immunity and even lead to death in extreme cases. The recommend daily intake should be 0.8 gm per kg for adults. For pregnant and lactic women require 70 grams of protein per day. Active and elderly people require more than the 0.8 gm per kg. Here is the list of high protein snacks.
High Protein Snacks:
1.) Chicken Breast- High Protein Food
Chicken consist of high-quality protein that contains the right essential amino acid and relatively of an amount of fat. Fat in chicken is a mostly unsaturated type, which protects against heart disease, thus chicken is often recommended by Physicians and nutrition counselors as an alternative to red meat which typically has more fat and more saturated fat.
- Chicken breast is considered as the leanest and high protein snacks. It is one of the most popular protein-rich foods and one of the best friend of bodybuilder and fitness enthusiast.
- If you will eat it without the skin, the majority of the calories in it come from protein. Chicken breast is also very easy to cook and tastes delicious if you do it right. Bodybuilder prefers to boil it to avoid any fat or carbs in it. So you can also boil it. 80% calories of chicken breast come from the protein. One roasted chicken breast without skin contain 53 gm of protein with only about 284 calories.
2.) Lentils- High Protein Snacks
Lentils is a type of legume. It is high in fiber magnesium, iron, potassium folate, manganese, copper and various other beneficial nutrients.
- It is the world’s best source of plant based protein and excellent food for a vegetarian who always seeks for high protein source in vegetables.
- 27% of calories in this food comes from the protein content. Only one cup of boiled lentils contains about 18 gm of protein with 230 calories.
- Other high protein sources of legume are soybeans which contain about 33% of calories from protein content and chickpeas contain about 19% of calories from protein content and kidney beans which contain about 24% of calories from protein content.
3.) Pumpkin Seeds- Rich Source of Protein
Pumpkin contains an edible seed called pumpkin seeds which are an incredibly high in many nutrients including magnesium iron and zinc. It is one of the high protein snacks
- It contains about 14% of calories from the protein content, one ounce of pumpkin seeds contain about 5 grams of protein with 125 calories.
- You can also consume protein from other seeds.
- Like flaxseeds contain about 12% calories from the protein content, sunflower seeds contain about 12% seeds from the protein content and chia seeds contain bout 11% of calories from the protein content.
4.) Greek Yogurt- High Protein Snacks
Greek yogurt is also called strained yogurt, which is the very thick type of yogurt. It has a creamy texture and tastes delicious and has many nutrients.
- Nonfat greek yogurt has about 48% of calories. 170 gm of the container has 17 gm of protein with only 100 calories.
- Make sure to choose one the yogurt which is without added sugar. Full-fat greek yogurt is also very high in protein and contains more calories.
- Regular full-fat yogurt has about 24% of calories and kefir has about 40% calories from protein. It is one of the best high protein snacks with added benefits.
5.) Cottage Cheese- Food High in Protein
Cottage cheese is one of the best friends of vegetarian. It is one of the high protein snacks. It is a type of cheese that tends to be very low in fat and calories.
- Cottage cheese is full with calcium, selenium, phosphorus vitamin B12, vitamin B2 and various other nutrients which are good for your overall health. It 226 gm of cottage cheese with 2% of fat contain about 27 grams of protein which is about 59% of protein.
- It contains about 194 calories. You can also prefer parmesan cheese with 38% of protein calories, swiss cheese with about 30% of protein content, mozzarella cheese with about 29% calories of protein and cheddar cheese with about 26% calories of protein content.
6.) Eggs- High Protein Snacks
Whole eggs are among the healthiest and most nutritious foods exist on the planet. According to the Egg nutrition Center, the average egg contains about 6 gms of protein, and egg white contain bout 3.6 gm of protein. Egg white is considered as the lean source of protein. The whole egg is full of vitamin, mineral, and healthy fats.
- Eye protecting antioxidants and brain nutrients that most people don’t get enough of. They are high in protein and but egg white is a lean source of protein. the egg also contains riboflavin, folate, niacin, calcium, iron, copper, zinc, that vitamin B12, and sodium.
- One large whole egg contains about 6. 30 gm of protein which is about 35% protein content, with 78 calories.
7.) Milk- Rich Source of Protein
Milk is highly nutritious and has many health benefits. But there is one problem that a huge percent of the world’s adults are intolerant to it. If you can tolerate it and enjoy drinking it, then milk is the excellent source of high-quality protein.
- Milk contains a little bit of almost every single nutrient which human body needed. It is particularly high in phosphorus, calcium, and vitamin B2.
- One cup of whole milk contains about 8 gms of protein and 21% of protein calories. It has about 49 calories.
8.) Lean Beef- High in Protein
Lean beef is one of the best sources of high protein and also taste delicious. It is loaded with highly bio-available iron, vitamin B12, and various other nutrients. It is one of the high protein snacks and choices of every body builder.
- About 53% of calories comes from the protein. 3 ounce of a serving of cooked beef contains about 10% fat and 22 gms of protein. It has about 184 calories.
- If you are in low card -diet, you can go for fatty cuts of beef instead of lean beef.
9.) Broccoli- High Protein Snacks
It is one of the best friend of vegetarian who always seeks for protein in their foods. It is an incredibly healthy vegetable with full of vitamin C vitamin K potassium and fiber.
- Broccoli is also loaded with various bioactive nutrients believed to help protect against cancer.
- It is high in protein content if you will compare it with other vegetables. 20% of calories in broccoli comes from the protein. 1 cup of chopped broccoli contain about 3gm of protein with only about 3 calories.
10.) Tuna- High Protein Snacks
Tuna is the very popular type of fish and it has many health benefits. It is recommended by the nutritionist that you should consume at least twice a week. It is low in both calories and fat and lean source of protein.
- Like other fish, it is also very high in various nutrients and contains enough amount of omega 3 fatty acids.
- 94% of calories in tuna fish comes from the protein content. A cup of tuna fish contains about 39 gms of protein with only 179 calories.
11.) Peanuts- Food high in Protein
Peanuts are incredibly delicious high protein snacks. They are also high in and fiber magnesium and a good source of healthy fat. Many studies show that they can help you to lose weight.
- It is also available in the market in the form of butter and makes sure not to eat too much.
- It contains about 16% calories from the protein content. One ounce of peanut contains about 7 grams of protein with 159 calories.
12.) Quinoa- High Protein Snacks
Quinoa is a seed/ grain that is currently among the world’s most popular super foods. In south Quinoa contain a full arsenal of essential amino acids, that means it is a complete protein with muscle making potential. It is high in many minerals, vitamins, and fiber and full of antioxidants. Quinoa as numerous heath benefits
- It has about 15% calories from the protein content. Only one cup of cooked quinoa contains about 8 grams of protein with 222 calories.