If you have just started off on your low carbs diet and wondering that which vegetables are best to eat so this is the right place for which you looking for. In this article, you will see which are the best and low carbohydrate vegetables to achieve your goals. Vegetables are low in calories but rich in minerals, vitamins, and other important nutrients. Many of them are low in carbs and high in fiber and make them ideal for low carbs diets. The definition of low carb diet varies widely but most are under 150 grams of carbs per day and same goes to low as 20 grams of carbs per day. It doesn’t matter if you are in low carbs diet or not eating more vegetables is always a great idea to get a healthy lifestyle. Here is the list of low carb vegetables with you want to know.
List of Low Carb Vegetables:
1.) Bell Pepper- Low in Carbohydrate
Bell pepper are also known as capsicum or sweet pepper and are very nutritious. They contain antioxidants called carotenoids that help to reduce the inflammation, decrease the risk of cancer and protect against cholesterol and fats from oxidative damage. The only cup of chopped red pepper which is about 149 grams contain only about nine grams of carbs, three of which are fiber.
- They provide about vitamin C, which is about 317% of your daily recommendation and vitamin A, which is about 93% of your daily recommendation. The good about them is they are low carb vegetables with full of nutrients.
- Red, green and yellow bell peppers have a similar amount of nutrient but red pepper is highest in certain antioxidants.
- They are anti-inflammatory and high in vitamin A and vitamin C. They contain 6 grams of digestible carbs per servings.
2.) Broccoli- Low Carb Vegetables
Broccoli is one of the best foods and covers all the category regarding health. It is considered as the super-food. Broccoli is the member of the cruciferous vegetable family which includes Brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage, and radishes.
- Studies have shown that it may decrease the insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes. It is thought to protect against several types of cancer including prostate cancer.
- One cup of broccoli which is about 91 grams contain only about 6 grams of carbs and two of them are fiber.
- It provides more than 100% of vitamin C and K of your daily recommendation.
- Broccoli contains 4 grams of digestible carbs per serving which are high in vitamin C and vitamin K. it also reduces the insulin resistance and helps to prevent cancer.
3.) Mushroom- Vegetable low in Carb
There are many types of mushroom. Crimini mushroom and white mushroom are the most common types of mushroom found in stores. Although portabella and shitake, mushroom are also becoming very common. Technically mushroom is fungi but are usually thought of as a vegetable for food purpose. They are handy stuffing and you hold raw mushroom and spread and dips, or you can bake with another kind of stuffing such as cheese mixed with herb and spices.
- Mushrooms are very low carbs vegetables. A one cup serving of mushroom which is about 70 grams contains just 2 grams of carbs. One of which is fiber. It also has strong anti-inflammatory properties.
- According to the study conducted on men with metabolic syndrome, he was eating about 100 grams of white mushroom for 16 weeks see the significant improvement in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory markers.
4.) Zucchini- Low Carb Vegetables
It is a very popular vegetable and the most common type of summer squash. Summer squash has a long type of shape and soft skin that you can eat.
- Winter squash comes in a variety of shapes and has an incredible rind and is higher in carbs than summer varieties.
- Only one cup of raw zucchini which is about 124 grams, contains 4 grams of carbs and one of them fiber. It is a good source of vitamin C and provides about 35% of your daily recommendation.
- Yellow Italian and other types of squash also are in low carbs and contain nutrient similar to zucchini.
5.) Spinach- Low Carb Vegetables
It is a leafy green vegetable that provides major health benefits. Studies have found that it can help to prevent against damage of DNA. Spinach also protect against heart health and reduce the risk of common eye diseases like cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Spinach is also an excellent source of several vitamins and minerals. Only one cup of cooked spinach which is about 180 grams contain vitamin K which is about 10 times of your daily recommendation.
- It is one of the low carb vegetables but become more concentrated as the leaves are cooked down and lose their volume.
- One cup of cooked spinach contain only about 7 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fiber, and one cup of raw spinach contains about 1 grams of carbs and almost 1 grams of fiber.
6.) Avocados- Food low in Carb
Avocados are a unique and delicious food and considered as the low carb vegetables. Technically it is a fruit but consumed as vegetables. They are a good source of healthy fat and contain very few digestible carbs.
- Only one cup serving of chopped avocados which is about 150 grams contains about 13 grams of carbs 10 of which are fiber.
- They are also a rich in oleic acid which is a type of mono-saturated fat and has beneficial effects on health. Studies have found that avocados help lower LDL cholesterol and triglyceride level.
- They are also a good source of vitamin C, magnesium, and folate.
- Avocado is high-calorie food and beneficial for weight management. According to study who add half an avocado at lunch feel more fuller and had less desire to eat over next five hours.
7.) Cauliflower- Vegetable Low in Carb
It is one of the most versatile and popular food which is low carb vegetables. Cauliflower has a mild taste and can be used as a substitute for rice potatoes and other high carbs foods
- One cup of raw cauliflower which is about 100grammes contain about 5 grams of carbs three of which are fiber. It is also a rich source of vitamin K and provides about 77% of vitamin C of your daily recommendation.
- Like other cruciferous vegetables. It is also associated to reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
8.) Green Beans- Low Carb Vegetables
Green beans are sometimes referred to as string beans and snap beans. They are the member of legume family lentils and beans. They have significantly fewer carbs than most legumes do.
- One one cup serving of cooked green beans which is about 125 grams contain about 10 gram of carbs and four which are fiber.
- They are also high in green pigment known as chlorophyll, on which animal studies suggest that helps and protect against cancer.
- Green beans also contain carotenoids which are associated with improving brain function during aging.
9.) Lettuce- Food low in Carb
Lettuce is one of the low carb vegetables. One cup of lettuce which is about 47 grams contains about 2 grams of carbs, one of which is fiber. It is also a good source of certain vitamins.
- For instance romaine and other dark green varieties are rich source of vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K. they are also high in folate.
- Folate present in the lettuce help to decrease the level of homocysteine, it is a compound which is known to decrease the risk of heart disease. According to one study conducted 37 women, consuming food high in folate for five weeks decrease the risk of homocysteine level by 13% as compared to low folate diet.
10.) Kale- Low Carb Vegetables
Kale has been popular nowadays due to its extreme nutritious quality. It is full of antioxidants, including kaempferol and quercetin.
- These antioxidants have been shown to lower the blood pressure and help to protect against heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and other health diseases.
- One cup of raw kale which is about 67 grams contain only about 7 grams of carbs, one of which comes from the fiber. It is also a rich source of vitamin A and provide about 206% of your daily recommendation of vitamin A, and a rich source of vitamin C and provide about 134%of your daily recommendation.
- High intake of the vitamin has been showing to improve the immune function and decrease the skin’s ability to fight damaging free radicals, which can speed up the aging process.