Carbohydrate-containing foods can be rated on the scale called the glycemic Index. This scale ranks carbohydrate-containing foods based on their effect on the level of blood sugar level over period of time, usually two hours. The foods which contain carbohydrate are compared with glucose or white bread as a reference foods which is given a glycemic score of 100. It compares foods that have the same amount of carbohydrate gram for gram. Carbohydrate breaks down quickly during digestion and have a higher glycemic index more than 70. These high glycemic index carbohydrate such as baked potato release their glucose into the blood quickly. Foods such as oats they have a carbohydrate that breaks down quickly and releases glucose gradually into the bloodstream. They have a low glycemic index less than 55. Here is the list of low glycemic foods.
Low Glycemic Foods List:
1.) Cherries- Foods in Low Glycemic index
Cherries are very popular fruits because of their sweet and juicy characteristic. Research have suggested that cherries are extremely beneficial to your health too. The nutrients and bioactive compound present in cherries support their preventive health. cherry intake associated with the prevention of cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, inflammatory disease nd Alzheimer’s disease. Cherries are one of the best low glycemic foods.
- Cherries are high in potassium and full with antioxidant which will give your immune system a boost. It has 20 GI score. Cherries have a short growing season and it can get them fresh. But canned tart cherries have a GI score of 41 and they are a fine substitute if they are not packed in sugar. The benefits of cherries come from the high levels of antioxidants that fight against free radical damage and protect our cells. studies also have found that cherries can help to remove excess body fat and increase the melatonin and support a healthy sleep cycle.
2.) Grapefruit- Low Glycemic Foods
Grapefruit is filled with vitamin C and significantly boosts the immune system and help shorten colds. This fruit help to prevent or fight the common cold and there are some indicators that vitamin C also protect against cancers of the mouth and stomach. Grapefruit also combat free radicals that can reek havoc in the body. Cancer, stroke and heart attack and related to unchecked free radicals. Kidney stones are usually a build up of calcium and once developed these stones must either pass through the urethra or broken up medically.
- It has a GI score of 25 and it provides about 100 percent of vitamin C of your daily recommendation.
3.) Dried Apricots- Food has Low Glycemic index
Dried apricots are obtained from drying of fruits. This process includes the drying that evaporates the water content of the fruits without harming or reducing the nutritive value of dried apricots. Dried apricots have more benefits, it contain potassium calcium, phosphorus, iron vitamin A and vitamin C. one cup of serving dried contain 158 mg of vitamin A. these dried fruits provide many nutrients that are required for a healthy body along with combating many diseases. Dried apricots are one of the best low glycemic foods.
- They are a great alternative when eaten in a small amount because they are dried the amount of carbohydrate they provide is higher than the whole fruit. They provide one-fourth amount of copper require daily. You can try it with pork dishes, salads or grains like couscous. It five about 32 GI score.
4.) Pears- Low Glycemic Foods
Pears are a mild, sweet and a fibrous center fruit. It is rich in flavonoids, antioxidants, and dietary fiber and full with all of these nutrients in a cholesterol-free, fat-free. Consumption of pears may help to lose weight and reduce the risk of developing cancer, diabetes, hypertension and heart disease if eaten as a part of an overall healthy diet.
- It is healthiest with the peel on and provides over 20 percent of your recommendation of daily fiber intake. Pears have the 30 GI score.
5.) Apples- Foods in Low Glycemic Index
Apples are one of the most healthy foods and low glycemic foods. They are 2nd favorite foods after the banana. Apple help to satisfy your need for crunch, one sweet-tart apple with the peel on provides nearly 20 percent of your daily needs for fiber. Apple gives about 30 glycemic indexes. It provides you with fiber vitamin and minerals and can help fuel you through your ay without the crash later. Apple is one of the best fruits and don’t require any prep work or special storage container to keep it fresh. They are low in calories and fat and that’s why it is added in many diet programs. It is one of the low glycemic foods.
- Apple couldn’t replace toothbrush but chewing or biting an apple can stimulate the production of saliva in your mouth and can reduce the tooth decay by lowering the levels of bacteria.
- The study has found that drinking apple juice can keep the Alzheimer’s away and fight the effects of aging on the skin.
- Research has shown that people who eat fruits and other high-fiber foods gain a certain amount of protection against Parkinson’s.
6.) Lentils– Low Glycemic Foods
Lentils have many health benefits. It is high in protein, a healthy heart, diabetes control, control of cancer, improved digestion, weight loss, s solution for anemia and better electrolytic activity due to potassium. Lentils is good for pregnant women and prevents against atherosclerosis and help in maintaining a healthy nervous system.
- It is good for muscle generation, control diabetes, improve digestion, good for heart health. It is one of the best low glycemic foods
- Lentils s getting popularity nowadays as a great food to add to your diet and an often overlooked food when it comes to being helpful for a blood sugar conscious lifestyle. This food gets the first mainstream awareness when the book ‘ the four-hour body’ listed them as a helpful part of the slow carb diet and recommend it eating several times per eek. it will help you to feel full for longer period of time while keeping your blood glucose level stable. Lentis is also rich in vitamin mineral and fiber which gives them their healthy title. It has a glycemic index of 30.
7.) Peanuts- Foods in Low Glycemic Index
Peanuts are very good for your healthy and come in the category of low glycemic foods. It has a GI rate of 13. You can even enjoy peanut butter because ranks only a point higher at 14. Peanuts are actually considered legumes. If you don’t have an allergy from peanut they can be a good way to hold you over until your next meal. It helps to stabilize your blood sugar level and make it so you stay alert and clearheaded. You can also fee free to use peanuts as mentioned in many recipes or you can add peanut to a smoothie to help to give it more flavors well as added protein and healthy fats.
8.) Hummus- Low Glycemic Foods
Hummus ranks so low on the scale of GI that it is virtually nill. But you still need to keep your portion size at a reasonable level to avoid any gastrointestinal discomfort from eating too much of the same thing. Hummus is one of the best low glycemic foods. It is even rank low then the chickpeas that it is made up of perhaps due to other ingredients it contains such an olive oil, tahini, lemon juice. The glycemic load n hummus comes out to be zero, so it is one item that is safe to enjoy with fretting that out blood sugar levels are going to suffer it.
9.) Cashew- Low Glycemic Index
Cashew is a very healthy nut and can be eaten as desired and give you healthy polyunsaturated and mono saturated fats. It will also supply you with magnesium and iron. If you running low in either of these fats so you can eat cashew, this will be a crunchy and delicious way to get that covered. You can also eat cashew butter and make sure to go for an organic variety of cashew and avoid unnecessary additives. It has GI index rank 25.
10.) Green Beans- Foods Low in Glycemic Index
Green beans are one of the most popular foods used as an idle dish and are very low in GI rate. It has about GI rank 15. They are a decent source of vitamin C and fiber, so it is important to realize that you will not get all the nutrient from one food source, so it is important to eat a variety of foods to make sure that your nutritional needs get to fulfill. Vitamin C will help you to strengthen your immune system and provide antioxidants that can battle free radicals to help with inflammation.