While shaving is an affordable and quick way to remove unwanted hair but it also has a major drawback. Razor bumps are commonly associated with men who shave their faces frequently. Women also suffer razor burn after shaving their armpits and legs. A razor burn can be defined as a skin irritation that happens soon after an area has been shaved. There are several causes of razor burn such as dull blade shaving dry, using a hard soap, unconditioned skin and just having sensitive skin. Razor burns can appear as a red rash, It can be swollen and itchy too, it can cause a lot of discomforts. You can prevent razor bumps using this remedies.
Ways to Prevent Razor Bumps:
1.) Cold Compress to Prevent Razor Bumps
It is a very effective and easy way to get instant relief from the burning sensation caused by razor bumps. Cold compress soothes the area and reduces the inflammation caused by a razor. It also helps to reduce the itchiness and burning as well as prevent razor bumps from forming.
- Take a few ice cubes and put that ice cubes in a thin towel. Place that towel on the affected area for a few minutes.
- Or you can soak a cloth in a cold water and place that cloth on the affected area for a few minutes to prevent razor bumps.
- Use this remedy in your face to get rid of razor bumps.
- Or you can try splash with cold water on your skin immediately after shaving.
2.) Use Shaving Cream to Treat Razor Burns
Always try to shave with shaving cream to prevent razor bumps. Never shave dry. Choosing a shaving cream is a matter of personal taste. But you can choose glycerin based cream because this cream contains ingredients called aqua, stearic acid. Coconut acid, myristic acid, potassium hydroxide, sodium, triethanolamine. You should avoid taking cream with menthol and benzocaine, because they both are pore clogging.
3.) Always Use a Clean and Sharp Blade
Always use a sharp and clean blade because the dull or dirty blade will cut your skin more than the sharp blade will. Try to replace your blade frequently. Cleaning the blade and removing any hair will extend the life of the blade. If your blade is rusted so discard them immediately.
- You can even extend the life you razor if you will take good care of it.
- Always wash out the hair trapped in the blades. But don’t leave it wet because the water will wear down the blades.
4.) Shave with the Grain to Prevent Razor Bumps
You should always shave your hair in the direction of your hair grows. You will think that shaving up against the grain will give you a closer shave, but always remember shaving up against these ways will change the way it grows back. It will also increase the risk of razor bumps and ingrown hair.
- Don’t give too much pressure while shaving because pressing the too hard against the face or shaving the same patch in multiple strokes will cause irritation on your face.
- Do not forget to wash the area before shaving it.
5.) Rub the Area with an Alum Block
This is a kind of bar which looks like a soap but it can be used as a blood coagulant. You can buy this product online or anywhere in the market. It is more effective than cold water in closing open pores.
Alum block is also useful in healing the accidental cuts. If you accidently cut by razor blade moisten the area and apply it on the area. It works as an antiseptic.
6.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Razor Bumps
Apple cider vinegar is very effective to prevent razor bumps. It has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the inflammation as well as the itching sensation. It has acetic acid that prevents infection caused by a razor.
- Put a cotton ball in the solution of apple cider vinegar and apply it on the affected area.
- Let it dry on its own and then wash it off with water.
- Use this remedy two to three times a day until the burning sensation stops.
- Those people who have sensitive skin can dilute it with water before applying it.
7.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Razor Bumps
Aloe vera is very effective to treat all the skin related problems, therefore, it is also a great choice to prevent razor bumps. It has soothing as well as cooling properties that give the instant relief from the burning sensation and inflammation. Aloe vera also helps to moisturise your skin which enhances the healing process.
- Take an Aloe Vera Leaf and cut it into slices to extract the juice out of it.
- Rub this aloe vera gel on the affected skin to get rid of razor bumps
- Let it dry on its own, then rinse it iff with cold water.
- Use this remedy two to three times a day for two to three days to heal razor bumps.
8.) Honey to Prevent Razor Bumps
Honey has antibacterial properties, therefore, it can be used to treat razor bumps quickly. It can also reduce the inflammation and swelling. Honey also keep the skin moisturised. It can also prevent razor bumps.
- You need to apply some honey on the affected skin. let it dry on its own and rinse it off with cold water.
- Or you can use another treatment. You need to mix half teaspoon of honey with one teaspoon of plain yogurt. Apply this mixture on the affected area. let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Use this remedy until you get relief from the razor bumps.
9.) Baking Soda to Cure Razor Bumps
Baking soda is very useful to treat spider bites. It is alkaline in nature so that it throw out the venom from the skin. It also helps to treat razor bumps. Baking soda also plays an effective role in reducing inflammation, redness, and pain on the skin. Baking has anti-inflammatory properties which have a soothing effect on the skin. It helps to relieve itching and reduces redness.
- You need to mix one tablespoon of baking soda with one cup of water.
- Take a cotton ball and soak in this solution, then apply it on the affected skin.
- Leave it for about five minutes then rinse it off with cool water.
- Use this remedy two to three times a day to get rid of razor bumps.
10.) Cucumber to Prevent Razor Bumps
Cucumber has anti-inflammatory properties property and it is hydrating in nature. It contains vitamin C and k which is an important ingredient for relieving pain and itchiness.
- You need to take few cucumber and slice a cucumber into thin pieces and put this slices into the refrigerator for about half an hour. Rub these cool slices of cucumber of gently into the affected skin for about 10 to 15 minutes. Use this effective treatment at a regular interval until the skin heals.
- Or you can use another option. You need to make a puree of half a cucumber and mix it with one-quarter cup of milk. Keep this mixture in the refrigerator for cooling. Apply this cool mixture on the affected area and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Rinse it off with warm water. Use this remedy two times a day for a two-day to prevent razor bumps.
11.) Tea Tree Oil to treat Razor Bumps
Tea tree oil has antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It is a very good choice to prevent razor bumps.
- You need to put five drops of tea tree oil into the two tablespoons of water to dilute it. Apply this solution on the affected skin. let it soak for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Use this remedy two times a day to get rid of razor bumps.
- Or you can another option. You need to put two to three drops of tea tree oil with two tablespoons of olive oil. Apply this mixture on the affected skin and leave it about 10 to 15 minutes. Wash it off with cool water
12.) Oatmeal to Cure Razor Bumps
Oatmeal has anti-inflammatory as well as soothing properties. It gives relief from inflammation and skin irritation to reduce the discomfort caused by razor bumps.
- You need to mix equal amount of plain yogurt and oatmeal. You can also add honey if you want.
- Apply this mixture on the affected area. Leave it for about half an hour then rinse off this mixture with lukewarm water.
- Use this remedy once or twice day for about two to three-day to prevent razor bumps