Probiotic are good bacteria that primarily line your gut and are responsible for nutrient absorption and supporting your immune system. They are essential for your digestive health, there are thousand of other health benefits if you will consume probiotic-rich foods. Historically people have a plenty of probiotics in their diet from eating fresh foods and by fermenting our foods to keep them from spoiling. In today’s time because of refrigeration and dangerous agricultural practices like soaking food with chlorine, food contain little or no probiotics and most foods today actually contain antibiotics that kill off the good bacteria in bodies. If you will add probiotic foods into your diet you will see the health benefits like a stronger immune system, improved digestion, healthier skin, weight loss and many others. Here is the list of probiotics for women which will help them to get those health benefits.
List of Probiotics for Women:
1.) Yogurt- Food with Probiotic
Yogurt is one of the best probiotics for women, live cultured yogurt is one of the best probiotic, especially handmade. Choose from brands made from goat’s milk that has been infused with an extra form of probiotic like acidophilus or lactobacillus. Goats milk and cheese are particularly high in probiotics like thermophiles, acidophilus, bifudus and bulgaricus. Be sure to read the ingredient list as not all the yogurt is made equally. Many popular brans are filled with artificial sweeteners, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial flavors and are way too close to being nutritional equivalent of sugary fatty ice cream.
2.) Miso soup- Probiotics for Women
Miso is one of the traditions Japanese medicine and one of the best probiotics for women. It is commonly used in macrobiotic cooking as a digestive regulator. miso is made from the fermented beans, rye, rice, barley, adding a tablespoon of miso to some hot water makes an excellent quick probiotic soup and full of Bifidus and lactobacilli bacteria.
- They are important to live cultures and miso is extremely nutrient dense and believed to help neutralize the effect of environmental pollution, it alkalize the body and stop the effects of carcinogens in the system.
3.) Kefir- Probiotic Rich Food
It is a fermented probiotic milk drink. Kefir is made by adding kefir grain to goats and cows milk. This grain are not a cereal grain, but rather cultures of lactic acid bacteria and yeast that look like a cauliflower. It is one of the best probiotics for women. Kefir also has many other health benefits.
- The word kefir comes from the Turkish word key, which means feeling good after eating. It has many health benefits.
- It can improve the bone health and also help with some digestive problem and protect against infections. While yogurt is best known probiotic food in the western diet, but kefir is much better source than yogurt. It contains several major strains of friendly bacteria and yeast which make it a diverse and potent probiotic.
- Like yogurt kefir is also well tolerated by people who are lactose intolerant.
4.) Tempeh- Probiotics for Women
Tempeh is a fermented soybean product. It forms a firm patty and people found it flavor as nutty, earthy or much similar to a mushroom. Tempeh is one of the probiotic food with many heath benefits.
- It is originally formed Indonesia but now has become popular all over the world as a substitute for high protein meat.
- The fermentation process of tempeh has some surprising effects on its nutritional value. Soybeans are typically high in phytic acid, a plant compound that impairs the absorption of minerals like zinc and iron.
- Apart from it the fermentation process reduces the amount of phytic acid which may increase a number of minerals the body is able to absorb from tempeh.
- Another interesting byproduct of this process is that the bacteria produce some vitamin B12, it is a vitamin that soybean do not contain. As vitamin is mainly found in the animal foods such as fish, meat and dairy products, and eggs.
- This makes tempeh a great choice for vegetarians, as well as for those who are looking to add a nutritious probiotic to their diet.
5.) Kombucha- Food with Probiotic
It is a fermented black or green tea drink. This tea is fermented by a friendly colony of bacteria and yeast. It is consumed especially in Asia and also in many parts of the world. Kombucha is one of the best probiotics for women.
- You will see the many claims about the potential health effects of this tea but yet there is no high-quality evidence on kombucha.
- The studies that exist are test tube studies and animal studies and the result may not apply to humans.
- But you need to keep in mind that it is fermented by bacteria and yeast so it can have health benefits related to its probiotic properties.
6.)Cheese- Probiotics for Women
Most types of cheese are fermented but not all of them contain probiotics. It is important to look for active and live cultures on the food labels. The good bacteria survive the aging process in some cheeses including, cottage cheese, gouda, mozzarella, and cheddar.
- Cheese are highly nutritious and very good source of protein. It is also rich in important minerals and vitamins including vitamin B12, calcium, selenium, and phosphorus.
- Moderate consumption of dairy products such as cheese can even lower the risk of osteoporosis and heart disease.
7.) Natto- Foods with Probiotics
Natto is one of the best probiotics for women. It is another fermented soybean product like miso and tempeh. It contains a bacterial strain called bacillus subtitles.
- Natto is stable in Japanese kitchens and you can typically mix it with rice and served with breakfast.
- Natto has a distinctive smell and slimy texture and strong flavor. It is rich in vitamin K2 and protein, which is important for bone health and cardiovascular health.
- A study in older Japanese men found that consuming natto on a regular basis is associated with higher bone mineral density. It is attributed to the high vitamin K2 content of natto.
- Another study has found that natto may help to prevent osteoporosis in women.
8.) Buttermilk- Probiotics for Women
The term buttermilk actually refers to a range of fermented dairy drinks. There are two main types of buttermilk called cultured and traditional buttermilk.
- However, traditional buttermilk is simply the leftover liquid from making butter. Only this version of buttermilk contain probiotics and sometimes called grandma’s probiotic.
- Traditional buttermilk is mainly consumed in India, Pakistan, and Nepal.
- On the other hand, cultured buttermilk which is commonly found in American supermarket generally does not have any probiotic benefits.
- Buttermilk is also low in fat and calories but also contain several important mineral and vitamins such as vitamin B12, calcium, riboflavin and phosphorus.
9.) Pickles- Food with Probiotic
Pickles are also known as gherkins. Cucumber has been pickled in a solution of salt and water.
- They are left to ferment for some time and using their own naturally, present lactic acid bacteria. This is the process that what make them sour. It is one of the best probiotics for women.
- Pickles cucumber are a great source of healthy probiotic bacteria and may help to improve digestive health. Pickles are low in calories and a rich source of vitamin K which is essential for blood clotting. They are also high in sodium.
- It is important to know that pickles made with vinegar do not contain live probiotics.
10.) Sauerkraut- Probiotics for Women
- Sauerkraut is finely shredded cabbage that is fermented by lactic acid bacteria.
- It is one of the oldest traditional food which is popular in many countries mainly in Europe. It is often used on the top of sausages or as a side dish. Sauerkraut has a salty and sour taste and can be stored for months in an airtight container.
- Sauerkraut is rich in fiber as well as vitamin B, vitamin C and vitamin K. it is also high in sodium and contain manganese and iron.
- It also contains the antioxidants zeaxanthin and lutein, which is important for eye health.
- You need to choose unpasteurized sauerkraut. Pasteurization kills the live and active bacteria.