Generally coughing is not a very serious problem. A cough can help to keep your throat clear from phlegm, but you don’t want to be that person, who makes people fling themselves over their plates to protect their food while you cough away or that person in a quiet room during a lecture break the silence from coughing. Coughing is just terribly uncomfortable all around. Coughing happens when your brain thinks that a foreign element is present in your body, and you remove that foreign element through coughing. It is of two types productive and dry. Productive is when you are coughing with phlegm. Chest pain, itchy throat are the symptoms of coughing. Common cold, flu and throat infection are the causes of coughing. You can follow these steps to stop coughing.
Ways to Stop Coughing
1.) Fresh Juices and Water to Stop Coughing
Staying hydrated is the first priority to defense against coughing. If your cough is coming from your dry throat, hydration is your first need. Drinking plenty of water is never a bad idea, even if the cause of your cough is something else.
- Drink beverages such as acidic juice like orange juice, if your throat is raw and irritated from coughing. Try to use only drinking water to keep you hydrated, anything else will not be a good option.
- Stories revolving around that milk makes more mucus, it is a myth. Whole milk actually coats your throat and make you feel that you have more phlegm. So be careful with dairy products. But if your cough is caused by dryness or irritation, the cold dairy product may help you to soothe the throat.
- Drink at least 10-12 glasses of water.
2.) Gargle Salt Water to Reduce Cough
Nothing could be better than a gargle with salt. It is the simplest and very easy remedy when you are running out of time. Gargling with salt water has always been popular to stop coughing due to its fast and good effect. It is very effective and cheap home remedy. A randomized study of 400 people during flu and cold found that gargling with salt water two or three times a day reduced infections up to 40 percent. When the concentration of salt is higher outside the cells present in your mucous membranes, then water flows opt-out of the cells to balance everything. When the water leaves cells, the swelling goes down and gives you relief from discomfort. You only require some simple ingredient which would be easily available at your home.
- Boil 8 ounces of water in a jar.
- Add one teaspoon salt with water.
- Gargle for 10 to 15 second and spit.
- Repeat the process with remaining water.
- Rinse your throat with regular water.
3.) Honey to Treat Cough
Studies have found that honey works more efficiently than the counter drugs. Honey is viscous and sticky in nature. This property helps honey to make a coating around your irritated mucous membrane and also helps to soothe your throat. Enzyme added by the bee in the honey are responsible for the cure of a cough. Honey has an antibacterial property which helps to shorten the longevity of a cough. It is the best remedy for both children and adults. However, avoid giving it to children below 2yrs.
- Take one tablespoon of organic honey 2 to 3 times per day.
- You can also take before the bed if a cough is disrupting your sleep.
- The dosage for children depends on the seriousness of a cough. You can give them 1 tea spoon to a tablespoon.
4.) Treat Cough with Licorice Root Tea
Licorice root has both demulcent and expectorant property that help to stop a cough. It helps to soothe your nasal airways while loosening and thinning mucus. It can also ease any inflammation that might be irritating your throat and ease congestion as well. Glycyrrhizin present in licorice is responsible for more of its effect. It is 40 to 50 times sweeter than table sugar. It helps to inhibit an enzyme called 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases. This enzyme helps to regulate access of glucocorticoid to steroid receptor and slows the conversion of cortisol to cortisone. This process increases the effect of cortisol and reduces inflammation. If you are on a steroid or you have any kidney related problem, it is good to steer clear of licorice root.
- Boil 8 ounces of water in a jar.
- Take two tablespoons of dried licorice root.
- Place the licorice roots in a jar with water.
- Steep it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drink 2 times daily.
5.) Pepper and Honey to Reduce Cough
Black pepper is most traded spice in the world, but most of its use is limited to the culinary world. People don’t know that it is a great remedy for a cough. It provides relief from the formation of mucous and congestion. Honey has been used as a remedy for ages. Honey makes coating around the irritated mucous membrane and sooth your throat. It has an antibacterial property which helps to shorten the age of a cough. When both the ingredients are mixed they work as wonder.
- Boil water in a jar.
- Add one tablespoon of honey and one teaspoon of black pepper.
- Cover it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Put it in a cup.
- Drink it sip by sip.
6.) Ginger-Peppermint Syrup to Get Rid of Cough
Ginger has soothing qualities. It works as an expectorant, help loosen and expel mucus from the lungs. Gingerol is a compound present in ginger, helps to relieve a cough and congestion. It also reduces the inflammation of the throat and mucous membrane. Moreover, it helps in thinning the mucus that helps one to swallow without any problem. On the other hand, peppermint contains menthol, which helps to soothe a sore throat and dry cough. It also helps to thin mucus and help break up phlegm. However, do not give peppermint to children.
- Boil 4 cups of water.
- Take 3 tablespoons of chopped ginger and 1 tablespoon of dried peppermint.
- Simmer the water until it has been reduced by half.
- Stir one cup of honey until it gets dissolved completely.
- Take one tablespoon every few hours as needed to ease your cough.
7.) Pineapple to Stop Coughing
Yes, you read it right, its pineapple for a cough. Bromelain present in pineapple is responsible for getting rid of a cough. It is an enzyme found in the stems and fruit of pineapple. Bromelain helps to loosen the mucus in your throat and suppress a cough. It also helps to treat inflammation and swelling. Before taking bromelain supplement first consult your doctor because if you are taking any antibiotics like amoxicillin, it might increase the absorption of the antibiotic.
- Take one pineapple and cut it into slices.
- Peel the skin of a pineapple.
- Or you can also make a juice of pineapple.
- Drink 4 to 5 ounces of juice daily.
8.) Eucalyptus to Stop Coughing
You can buy eucalyptus as cough syrups, vapor bath, lozenges at most drug stores to treat the sour throat. You can also apply eucalyptus ointments to your chest and nose to relieve congestion. It is safe for adults to apply it on your skin. You can also make a tea of eucalyptus. A compound present in eucalyptus called cineole works as an expectorant to fight from a respiratory infection. Antioxidant properties of eucalyptus protect against free radicals or molecules that can damage and infect cells.
- Boil a cup of water in a jar.
- Take 2 to 4 gm of dried eucalyptus leaves.
- Steep it into the jar for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take a sip of tea.
- You can also gargle with eucalyptus water to soothe your throat and reduce bad breath.
9.) Take Mediterranean Diet to Stop Coughing
Some food can help to reduce inflammation and congestion and treat a sore throat. If stomach acid is responsible for your cough, try to eat green vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and oil. You also need to cut on eating fruits and vegetables contain citric acid because they can increase gastroesophageal acid reflux which aggravates your throat. Try to switch to the Mediterranean diet, it consists food that helps to reduce inflammation.
- Green vegetables such as spinach or kale.
- Olive or canola oil.
- Whole grain such as oatmeal, flax-seed, brown rice, brown bread.
- Fatty fish like tuna, salmon, mackerel.
- Fruits such as strawberries, oranges, and cherries.
- Nuts like almonds and walnuts.
10.) Avoid Inflammatory Food to Get Rid of Cough
There are many foods which can slow down your body’s healing process, increase inflammation and impair the immune system. These foods may also cause gastroesophageal acid reflux, which can make you cough worse. Try to avoid this type of food which can cause your health.
- Refined carbohydrate is not good for you such as pasta, white bread, white rice.
- Try to avoid deep-fried food.
- Red meat such as beef, ham steak, hot dogs.
- Try to avoid sugar- sweetened beverages like soda or energy drink.
- Refined carbohydrates such as white bread, pastries, and donuts.