Head lice are tiny wingless insects that only live on the human head. They attach themselves to the human head and lay their eggs to the hair shaft. Head lice do not spread any disease and are not caused by the poor hygiene. Million of people especially children are affected by head lice every year. They spread through head to head contact and using the things of an infected person. Lice reproduce and mature very quickly. They can even survive in wet hair and don’t gets washed out because they stick tightly to the hair strands. Head lice have become resistant to the most of the product available in the market for head lice treatment and the chemical present in them can damage your hair and hurt your scalp. You can use tea tree oil for lice in many different ways without any side effects.
Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil for Lice:
1.) Make a Tea Tree oil Solution with Shampoo
Tea tree oil in the pure form can cause skin irritation. You try to use it some other things like shampoo before using it as a treatment.
- Put 2 to 3 drops of tea tree in the bottle of shampoo and also 2 to 3 drops of lavender oil.
- Stir the mixture well before using it.
- Apply the shampoo mixture into the hair. Extra pay attention towards scalp area because there will be most lice. Cover the hair with a shower cap and leave the treatment for 30 minutes.
- If you are feeling any itching or burning during the treatment this could be a sign of allergic reaction. Rinse your hair immediately with warm water. Towel dry the hair and. If you are still feeling itchy or burning in your scalp then again wash your hair with mild shampoo.
- Work the shampoo into a lather and rinse. Work through it with your finger to make sure to eliminate as many as lice as possible. Rinse your hair completely with warm water.
2.) Tea Tree Oil Spray
This is very easy, effective and even safe for sensitive skin as well. Especially for those people who cannot withstand the strong nature of tea tree oil, this method is safe for them.
- Put three to fours drop of tea tree oil in a spray bottle filled with water.
- Shake well before using it to combine all the ingredient together.
- Spray this solution on your hair.
- Leave it until you next wash your hair.
- Comb your hair thoroughly before rinsing your hair.
- Use this solution until you get relief from the head lice.
- You can also spray this solution on your furniture, clothing, carpet, toys to eliminate any head lice residing on them.
3.) Lavender Oil with Tea Tree Oil for Lice
You can use lavender oil with tea tree oil for lice. Lavender oil contains insecticidal properties which can kill head lice. The combination of this oil act as a suffocation agent which makes it hard for lice to breathe.
- Take half teaspoon of lavender oil and mix it with one teaspoon of tea tree oil.
- Apply the solution onto the hair and scalp to get rid of lice problem.
- Comb your hair thoroughly to remove the lice from the head and then wash your hair normally.
- Use this remedy two to three times week.
4.) Tea Tree Oil with Coconut Oil and Natural Shampoo
The viscosity of this mixture suffocates the head lice to breathe, feed and reproduce. This makes the inhabitable environment for them and eventually they die.
- Mix one teaspoon of tea tree oil and one ounce of natural shampoo with three tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Apply this solution to the hair and scalp, then cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Leave this mixture for 30 minutes then comb your hair thoroughly to remove the dead lice.
- Wash your hair normally with shampoo and conditioner.
- Use this remedy two to three times a day to get rid of lice problem.
5.) Vodka with Tea Tree Oil for Lice
The combination of vodka and tea tree oil for lice works very effectively in killing them. This method provides immediate relief from the itching.
- Mix 15 to 20 drops of tea tree oil with 2 ounces of vodka.
- Shake them well until the two ingredient combines properly.
- Take a cotton ball and dip in this solution to apply onto the scalp and hair.
- Leave this solution for 10 to 12 hours in your hair.
- Then wash your hair thoroughly with shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat this process regularly to get rid of lice problem.
6.) Olive Oil with Tea Tree Oil for Lice
Olive oil has insecticidal properties which can help to kill head lice. The combination of olive oil with tea tree oil makes it hard for head lice to crawl on your scalp.
- You just need to mix two to three tablespoon of tea tree oil with three tablespoons of an olive oil.
- Apply this solution on your hair and scalp.
- Leave this application on your scalp for one 40 to 60 minutes.
- Rinse it off from your hair with lukewarm water
- Then again rinse your hair with white vinegar to further prevent lice.
- Comb your hair thoroughly to remove the dead lice.
- Repeat the process for several days to get rid of the problem of head lice completely.
7.) DIY Lice Treatment Solution
In this process, you will use Indica oil, sesame oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil and tea tree oil. All of these oil works very effectively, they all have properties of killing the head lice, losing the nits and reducing the itchiness. It is a natural kit who works as commercial lice treatment kits.
- Add one teaspoon of tea tree oil, ¼ cup of sesame oil, ½ cup of eucalyptus oil, 1/3 cup of neem oil, 10 drops of rosemary oil and 5 to 10 drops of lavender oil.
- Mix the ingredient well.
- Apply this solution on your hair and scalp.
- Leave the application overnight.
- Wash your hair normally in the next morning and towel dry.
- Use this remedy two times a day until the head lice are completely gone.
8.) Rubbing Alcohol with Tea Tree Oil for Lice
It has disinfectant properties. Rubbing alcohol provides relief from the itching and heals the open pores. It also helps to prevent lice from sucking your blood.
- Add 20 drops of tea tree oil with 4 ounces of rubbing alcohol.
- Pour this solution into the spray bottle and close the lid, then shake it well.
- Spray the solution in your hair and scalp to get rid of head lice.
- Leave this application for 12 hours or overnight. Wash your hair normally in next morning.
- Use this remedy two times a week to eliminate head lice completely.
9.) Tea Tree Oil for Lice with Mayonnaise
Mayonnaise is a popular remedy for head lice. It can suffocate the head lice and eventually kill them. Moreover, it is very good for the hair.
- Mix equally tea tree and mayonnaise.
- Cover you head with a shower cap.
- Leave this mixture for five to six hours.
- The wash your hair well with regular shampoo.
- Dry your hair with the help of hair dryer as the hot air will ensure to kill the lice.
- Then comb your hair thoroughly to remove the lice.
- Use this remedy once a week to get rid of head lice problem.
10.) Tea Tree Oil for Lice with onion
You can use onion with tea tree oil for lice. High quantity of sulfur present in onion kills the head lice. Therefore, it is one of the best home remedies for head lice treatment.
- Grind four to five onions in a blender to make a paste.
- Put the paste in a sieve and press it with the help of a spoon to extract the juice.
- Pu two drop of tea tree oil in this juice.
- Then Massage your scalp with this mixture, and cover your head with a shower cap.
- Then leave least two hours.
- Shampoo your hair thoroughly and wash it with lukewarm water.
- Dry your hair then comb your hair thoroughly remove all the head lice.
- Use this remedy three times a week then do it once a week for two months to completely eliminate head lice.
11.) Tea Tree Oil with Almond Oil
Almonds are one of the most effective treatments to remove lice. Moreover, almond oil is good for over all health of the hair.
- Soak 12 almonds in water overnight.
- The next morning, peel the skin of almonds and grind them to make a thick paste. Put two to three drops of tea tree oil in this paste.
- Apply the paste on the scalp thoroughly and leave it on for about two hours.
- Wash your head with cold water.
- Use this remedy once a week for two months.
12.) Apple Cider Vinegar with Tea Tree Oil for lice
Apple cider vinegar will not only eliminate the lice but it will also kill the eggs. It is very effective to get rid of the problem of head lice.
- Mix 5 ml of tea tree oil with one cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Pour this solution into the spray bottle.
- Spray this solution on your hair and scalp, then cover your head with a shower cap.
- Leave it for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Then wash your hair normally with shampoo.
- Repeat this process 3 to 4 times a week to get off head lice problem.