This article is about ways to treat a sore throat. A sore throat can be a lot painful sometimes. We do not pay attention to what we eat, how much we eat, similar to the way we do not notice that how many time do we blink our eyes. We only pay attention when it starts hurting our body. Once you have a sore throat, you don’t know that how long will it take to recover. You, yourself does not know that how long will you suffer from the pain.
A sore throat refers to a dry and painful throat. Sometimes, it is very difficult to swallow food while suffering from a sore throat. It is very important to treat a sore throat before it gets more painful. You can use some home remedies to treat your sore throat. This will be really big to your sore throat.
Ways to Treat a Sore Throat:
1.) Warm Water Gargle to Cure Sore Throat
When your granny told you about salt water gargle, she knew all the benefits of it. Gargling with warm salt water may sound a little odd, but it is one of the best ways to treat a sore throat. It gives relief, deep in the throat. The pain in the throat is caused when the cells present in the mucous membrane start swelling. Salt water helps to decrease the swelling, as a salt is best at drawing out water, which ultimately results in shrinking the swollen cells. It also washes out the excess mucous and allows your nose to drain properly as well.
- Take half cup of warm water.
- Add a half spoon of table salt.
- Thoroughly mix the salt.
- Use this water to gargle.
- Repeat this process thrice a day.
2.) Hot Toddy to Treat Sore Throat
A hot toddy is the best way to cure a sore throat, it even works great in cold and flu. Honey and lemon are best in soothing the throat, and alcohol helps you to go off to sleep. You can skip the alcohol, and make your own version if you are a nonalcoholic or giving this to a kid.
- Take a mug.
- Pour some alcohol into it.
- Add one tablespoon honey.
- Pour one cup of hot water into the mug.
- Mix it well.
- Take a lemon.
- Squeeze out the lemon juice.
- Add the lemon juice to the mixture.
- You can also add some lemon slice in the mug.
- Sip slowly and let the mixture does the talking.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Sore Throat
Apple cider vinegar is best taken up with garlic. Unfortunately, the things which taste bad does wonder. Similarly, this combination is really effective. The high-level acidic components present in this combination kills the bacteria efficiently, and if added honey; it will give so much relief to the soreness in the throat.
- Take a bowl.
- Pour one cup warm water.
- Add one tablespoon apple cider vinegar.
- Add one tablespoon honey and a bit of garlic.
- Stir it well.
- Drink the mixture while it is still warm.
- If you do not want to drink the mixture, you can put two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a half cup of warm water in a jug.
- Gargle with this water every morning.
4.) Fresh Garlic to Getting Rid of Sore Throat
It might sound repulsive and might not want to talk to anyone after trying this remedy. But garlic is a remedy which can kick off your sore throat by all its natural properties. Even the swelling and the pain will vanish by this remedy. Garlic has that compound that is best to treat sore throat as the garlic’s allicin kill the bacteria that causes irritation and pain in the throat.
- Take a fresh clove of garlic.
- Slice it half.
- Place one piece of garlic in each cheek.
- Suck up the garlic juice.
- Crush the slice with your teeth and let the garlic release the allicin.
- Repeat this once every day.
5.) Marshmallow to Cure Sore Throat
This is not the candy marshmallow, but a herb known as marshmallow root. It is a very famous herb in North America for centuries. This herb helps to soothe the mucus membrane in the throat and gives relief from the pain of a sore throat. If you are a diabetic person, then you must consult a doctor before using this remedy as this might lower your blood sugar level. This remedy works effectively to treat a sore throat if processed with the right steps.
- Take a mug.
- Add one tablespoon of dried root.
- Pour one cup of boiling water over it.
- Cover the mug.
- Let it steep for an hour before straining it.
- Drink this water twice every day to treat a sore throat.
6.) Take Steam to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Steam can give instant relief to a sore throat. Especially the ones that are more painful and dry. Taking steam can make breathing easier for you if you are feeling congested because of mucus. You don’t need to rush into a steam/sauna room for the treatment, but you can do this remedy easily in your comfort zone in your home.
- Boil a pot full of water.
- Take a one large bowl.
- Pour the boiled water into it.
- Lean over the bowl to inhale the steam, but be very careful while doing this process.
- Take a towel and drape it over your head making a tent for steam.
- Add 5 drops of eucalyptus oil in the boiled water.
- You can also take a hot shower and let the bathroom steam up.
- And sit there for a few minutes till you get some relief.
7.) Cayenne to Cure Sore Throat
Drinking cayenne with warm water can make your sore throat really better. It can be very effective to treat a sore throat. This is one of the best home remedies which works great for sore throats. Cayenne has chemical compound known as capsaicin, which helps in temporary healing of the sore throat pain. This could be very painful and thus, it is important to treat a sore throat.
- Take a cup.
- Pour one cup boiling water.
- Add a half spoon cayenne pepper.
- Add one teaspoon of honey.
- Mix it well.
- Let the temperature of water come to warm from hot.
- Drink this drink while it is warm.
- Repeat this once every day until you get relief.
8.) Licorice Root Tea to Treat Sore Throat
Drinking licorice root tea can naturally give relief to your sore throat. All the anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties of licorice root helps to get rid of swelling and irritation in a sore throat. It also helps in soothing the mucus membrane in your throat. Licorice tea is available in the market and you can brew it on your own. This remedy treats a sore throat and has more ingredients in it to make the taste of the remedy better.
- Take a bowl.
- Add one cup of dry licorice root, chopped.
- Add half cup of cinnamon chips.
- Put two tablespoons of whole cloves.
- Add half cup of chamomile flowers.
- Mix it properly.
- Store it in a glass jar for later use.
- Put three tablespoons of the mixture.
- Pour two cups of boiling water and strain.
9.) Fluids to Treat Sore Throat
This process is a must to do when you have a sore throat. Home remedies combined with this will work more effectively on your sore throat. It is very important to let your body rest and drink as much liquid as you could. Resting your body makes your mind rest which is very important. And in fact, this will help to release the infection and bacteria easily from your body. Pick up a good book if you like reading, or stock up some movies; relax, get cozy, rest, and drink, drink, drink!
- A very comfortable place to rest; bed or a sofa.
- Different fluids like- water, herbal tea, juices and anything liquid accepts alcohol.
10.) Baking Soda- Tea to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Baking soda is a very straightforward and effective remedy to treat a sore throat. This is because of its antibacterial properties, which fights against the bacterias in your throat. The Alkaline pH presents in baking soda work effectively on the swelling of a sore throat. You can also toss in some salt for better tastes and results into the remedy to treat a sore throat.
- Take a saucepan.
- Boil one cup water.
- Add half teaspoon salt.
- Add half teaspoon or less baking soda.
- Mix it well.
- Pour the water in a mug.
- Let the temperature come from hot to warm.
- Drink this sip by sip twice in a row three times daily to treat a sore throat.