The vitamin is a water soluble vitamin and plays an important role in maintaining the health of the body’s connective tissue and also act as an antioxidant. Deficiency of vitamin C cause scurvy, it is a disease form from the breakdown of collagen. This disease is rarely seen nowadays and only need a small amount of vitamin C to prevent it. But even an mild deficiency of vitamin C causes the symptoms include bleeding gums, easy bruising, slow wound healing, nosebleeds, dry spitting hair and dry red spots on the skin where blood has leaked out of the capillaries. Consumption of enough amount of vitamin C gives benefits include fight free radical damage, improves mineral absorption, improves the health of gums and teeth, vital for circulation and heart health. The daily recommendation for vitamin C is 60 mg. Here is the list of vitamin C foods.
List of Vitamin C Foods:
1.) Citrus Fruits- Foods high in Vitamin C
Oranges are among one of those citrus fruits about which everyone knows that it is high in vitamin C. one medium side orange contain about 70mg of vitamin C, which is about 110% of your daily recommendation and 62calories. Most people preferred orange in the form of juice, cotnianacontain60 to 90 mg od vitamin C and around 80 calories. They are one of the rich vitamin C foods
- Grapefruit is also famous for its health benefits and it also contains enough amount of vitamin C, half a cup of grapefruit about 50 mg of vitamin C, which is about 80% of your daily recommendation and 70 calories.
- Lemon is also a citrus fruit which is also famous for its vitamin C content. A whole lemon contain around 40 mg of vitamin C which is little less than your daily recommendation
2.) Chillies- Vitamin C Foods
There are three types of chilies usually find in the market which is red green and yellow. But green chilli has very high amount of vitamin C than the other. It provides about 182% of your daily recommendation. Chillies are also a great source of several antioxidants and minerals.
- Yellow and Red chilies contain around 65 mg of vitamin C which is about 62% of your daily recommendation.
- If you are one of that person who can handle the spiciness of chilli, so you can add it to your diet.
3.) Bell Pepper- Rich Source of Vitamin C
Bell pepper is among the top sources of vitamin C foods. Only one cup of raw bell pepper contain 142 mg of vitamin C which is about 205% of your daily recommendation and just contain 20 calories. But if you will cook it, vitamin C content in it will get little less, then it will contain 116 mg of vitamin C per cup with only 15 calories.
- Green bell has maximum amount of vitamin C among others. Cooked green bell pepper provides only about 51mg of vitamin C.
- Yellow bell pepper comes in the second position as it contains about 124 mg of vitamin C in 100 gm of serving.
4.) Berries- Vitamin C Foods
Strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries are a powerhouse of nutrition. Bursting with a healthy compound like fiber, folate, and phytochemical, they are rich in vitamin C. berries help to improve the memory and protect the body against heart disease and cancer. Strawberries are ideal snack with their tangy taste and high nutritional value. They are very delicious and make a great addition to dessert. Strawberries are full of fiber and antioxidants and help to reduce the oxidative stress and controls cholesterol.
- There are numerous dishes you can make from strawberries like strawberry ice cream, strawberry shake or a wonderful smoothie.
- Blackberries have around180 mg of vitamin C in 100 gm of serving. they are also rich in iron, potassium, and vitamin B5
5.) Papaya- Foods High in Vitamin C
The papaya a previously exotic and rare fruit and readily available at most times of the year. It is grown is tropical climates and also known as pawpaws. It is among the top sources of vitamin C foods. Papaya has a sweet taste and vibrant color and a wide variety of health benefits. Consuming papaya reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, aiding digestion and improve blood glucose and control in diabetes and lower blood pressure.
- One medium papaya contains about 182 mg of vitamin C which is about 300% of your daily recommendation. Papaya is also loaded with vitamin A, fiber, and potassium. They are also good very good for curing blemishes when applied to your face.
- You can eat it raw or make a smoothie for your daily dose of vitamin C
6.) Pineapple- Vitamin C Foods
Fresh pineapple have about 80 mg of vitamin C in a medium size cup of serving which is about 130 % of your daily recommendation
- You can add pineapple to your fruit salad or you can make a smoothie from it.
- Apart from providing vitmian C, pineapple also helps to relieve constipation and stomach troubles. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which help to heal and boost immunity.
7.) Broccoli- Foods High in Vitamin C
Broccoli provides about 89 of vitamin C which is about 120%of your daily recommendation. It is one of the best vitamin C foods which also provide other heath benefits. It tastes delicious both in raw and cooked form. If you are looking to protect yourself during the flu season and want to boost your immunity than nothing can be better than broccoli.
- Many studies have suggested that increasing the consumption of foods like broccoli can reduce the risk of diabetes, obesity, heart disease and overall mortality while promoting a healthy complexion ad hair. It also increases your energy level and overall lower weight.
8.) Tomatoes- Vitamin C Foods
Bright red tomatoes are also a rich source of vitamin C, but sun dried tomatoes are particularly high in this nutrient. It contains about 100 mg of vitamin C in 100gm serving which is about 175% of your daily recommendation. You can add them to sandwiches and salads or you can also add them to your meal.
- It has other benefits and nutrients. Tomatoes and tomatoes juice have been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. it helps to reduce the clots and are effective antioxidant.
9.) Cabbage- Rich source of Vitamin C
Cabbage is among the top sources of Vitamin C foods and also loaded with another nutrient like fiber vitamin K and folate. Each type of cabbage have slightly different nutritional value. Like red cabbage has more vitamin C than green cabbage and compare with another type of cabbage. Apart from it, savoy cabbage contains more beta carotene. Cabbage are rich in the phytochemical compound and research suggest it help to protect against disease when part of a healthy diet.
- Cabbage contain about 34 mg of vitamin C which is about half of your daily recommendation. It also helps to fight against cancer and heart disease.
- But red cabbage provides about 51 mg of vitamin C along with vitamin A and has only 28 calories.
10.) Mangoes- Vitamin C Foods
This color and tasty fruit is a rich source of vitamin C. An average mango contain about 54 mg of vitamin C which is about 90%of your daily recommendation. Apart from its vitamin content, it also contains other minerals and vitamins to keep you healthy. It contains vitamin A, B6, E, potassium and copper and other few nutrient.
- Mangoes also prevent us from cancer, research has shown that antioxidant compounds present in mango protect against colon leukemia, breast, and prostate cancer.
- It also helps to lower the cholesterol level, clears the skin, improves eye health and alkalizes the whole body.
11.) Peas- Foods High in Vitamin C
Many people think that peas are just a poor man’s meat or cheap restaurant side dish but it is more than that. These little peas is a powerhouse of nutrition that is boon for your heath. It is one of the best vitamin C foods which has many benefits. Fresh green peas are an excellent source of vitamin C. It is also a good source of protein, iron and other nutrient. Peas also help to reduce the risk of developing cancer, high cholesterol mascular degeneration. As antioxidant peas also protect against cataracts by fighting the free radicals.
- Peas also help in weight management. As they are low in fat but high in everything else. a cup of peas has less than 100 calories but lots of protein, fiber, and other micro nutrients.
12.) Cherries- High in Vitamin C
Regular cherries and west indies cherries are one of the best source of vitamin C. These fruits provide about 300% of your daily recommendation. On the other hand, west indies cherries contain about 1650 mg of vitamin C.
- They are also high in fiber and a great fruit if you are planning to lose weight or feeling bloated.