Hair plays an important role in physical appearance so one should take all the necessary steps that give healthy and voluminous hair. Factors such as genetics, age, hormones affect hair growth. But poor nutrition, deficiency of vitamin also plays a major role in hair loss. Most of us desire for healthy, lustrous and voluminous hair but achieving that is not possible in a single day. As a simple and convenient way people visit salons, but giving only importance to external care creates a big hole in your hair care regimen. Visiting your hairdresser, caring for your hair are all important but what about the internal health of the hair. It is true that healthy hair is a sign of good health they both are a result of a balanced diet. Here is the list of best vitamins for hair growth.
Best Vitamins for Hair Growth:
1.) Biotin to Get Long Hair
Vitamin B5 and Biotin are considered one of the best vitamins for hair growth. Biotin rebuilds hair shingles that get damaged from over-shampooing, blow-drying, ironing and over exposure to the sun. It also supports the adrenal glands, which helps to stimulate hair growth.
- Biotin is also known to work for hair volume and thickness. It aids in the production of fatty acids within the cells and facilitates their growth.
- Biotin works in collaboration with fats and amino acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. They also play an important role in the process of glucogenesis. Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin, that means that daily intake of it is necessary for healthy hair. It is the main ingredient in hair product available in the market. Proper intake and external application of biotin is the key to healthy and lustrous hair.
- It helps rapid increase in the growth rate of your hair. It also helps to strengthen and thicken hair. Biotin is one of the best vitamins for hair growth
- Foods such as Mushrooms, Peanut butter, Avocados, Yeast, Salmon, Raspberries, Bananas, Walnuts, Almonds, Eggs, Cauliflower are rich in biotin.
2.) Vitamin C for Strong Hair
Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin, which means your body does not store it. It provides many benefits to your body and helps to treat and prevent hair loss. The best way to use vitamin C to fight hair loss is to modify your diet that is rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential for your body to repair and manufacture tissues. It is one of the best vitamins for hair growth.
- According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, it is important for the healing of wounds, and also helps to create teeth and bones. Vitamin C is also important in decreasing the production of an essential protein called collagen which is used to make bones, skin, ligaments, blood vessels, scar tissue, and muscles.
- It has antioxidant properties, which is similar to vitamin E and zinc. Antioxidants are mainly responsible for reducing the damage which is caused by free radicals. Free radicals form when your body converts food into energy. They can harm your hair, and make them brittle or weak. Vitamin C is beneficial for protecting your hair from free radicals. Vitamin C is considered as best vitamins for hair growth.
- Foods such as cauliflower, strawberries, turnip greens, green peppers, mango, spinach, blueberries, oranges, tomatoes, papaya, kiwi, pineapples are rich in vitamin C.
3.) Vitamin D for Hair Loss Treatment
Low levels of vitamin D are linked to alopecia, a technical term for hair loss. Research has shown that vitamin D help to create new follicles, the tiny pores in the scalp where new hair can grow.
- Vitamin D play an important role in hair production, but most research focuses on vitamin D receptors but the actual role of vitamin D in hair growth is unknown. It is known to be best vitamins for hair growth.
- Most people don’t get enough vitamin D. One of the best ways to boost vitamin D levels is to spend some time outside in the sun. You don’t need to spend too much time in the sun, just 10 to 15 minutes are enough every day. It is not difficult to consume vitamin D from sunlight during a summer month, but you may not be able to soak up enough during the winter. On that time you can take vitamin D from supplements and foods rich in vitamin D.
- Fatty fish, mushrooms cod liver oil are a rich source of vitamin D.
4.) Niacin for Hair Growth
Vitamin B-3 is also known as niacin. It is known to be one of the best vitamins for hair growth. It is a water-soluble vitamin known to dilate the blood vessels.
- While taking niacin supplements, you can experience niacin flush. It is a result of your capillaries widening, allowing for better circulation of blood to nourish your hair follicles scalp. Flushing in most cases is harmless. But it can indicate the toxicity, when the level of niacin is too high, a risk factor of supplements.
- Niacin not only stimulates hair growth, it also minimizes the accumulation of cholesterol. It is converted into enzyme 5 alpha reductase when cholesterol builds up on the scalp. An increase in this enzyme is linked with balding in women and men.
- Food such as fish, Shrimp, dairy, lean red meat, beans, almonds, carrots and celery are rich in niacin.
5.) Folic Acid for Hair Loss Treatment
Folic acid helps your cells to work and your tissues to grow. If you’re taking an enough amount of folic acid on a regular basis it will help in hair growth. According to the study conducted by the Ontario Veterinary College at the University of Guelph states that folic acid is very effective in treating hair loss. A three-week-old male calf was suffering from progressive hair, loss, crusting, and brown patches similar to deficiency of folic acid in man. The college gives a folic acid supplement therapy to the calf. They give 1 mg/kg dose on a daily basis. The results were very positive, calf shows a gradual disappearance of patches and crusting within just 15 days and a steady recovery of natural hair growth within two months. Thus, it is best vitamins for hair growth.
6.) Vitamin A for Thick Hair
Vitamin A is considered as one of the best vitamins for hair growth. It plays an important role in proper cell growth, which directly influences hair growth. Vitamin A helps to produce the natural oils on your scalp, also known as sebum. This oil gives your hair a healthy gloss and shine. Vitamin A contains antioxidants which help to moisturize the scalp and prevent hair from drying out. It also helps in thickening and strengthening the hair. Sweet potatoes, Liver, Carrots, Spinach, Dried apricots, Mangoes, Milk, Egg
7.) Vitamin E for Long Hair
Vitamin E is an antioxidant and help to build and repair tissue essential for hair growth. It battles free radicals and it is one of the best vitamins for hair growth. Vitamin E provide moisture to hair and protects your hair from drying out. It also keeps the scalp healthy and promotes blood circulation. Almonds, peanuts, cooked spinach, sunflower seeds, dried herbs, fish are rich in vitamin E.
Other Vital Nutrients for Hair Growth:
1.) Iron to Get Long Hair
Apart from vitamins iron is also beneficial for your hair growth. It helps red blood cells to carry oxygen to your cells. This property makes it an important mineral for many bodily functions, including hair growth.
- Deficiency of iron causes anemia, which is a major cause of hair loss. This problem is especially common in women.
- Don’t take over the counter iron supplement. According to the study published in Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology in 2006 found that overzealous supplementation can lead to tissue damage and increase the risk of colorectal cancer.
- Foods such as eggs, oysters, red meat, spinach, and lentils are rich in iron.
2.) Protein for Hair Growth
After vitamins, it is a most demanded nutrient in our body. It is essential for healthy hair growth because hair is mostly made of keratin protein. If you will not consume enough protein then your body won’t be able to feed your hair follicles and make your hair dry and brittle.
- Many hair care product also contains protein as the main ingredient. It is always a good idea to consume enough protein from your diet. Vegetarians, there is no need to afraid because there are plenty of plant-based sources of protein, like spinach, quinoa, broccoli and more.
- Protein helps to hair grow strong and also speed up the growing process.
3.) Zinc for Hair Growth
Zinc plays an important role in the growth of hair tissue. It also helps to keep the oil glands around the follicles working properly. Hair loss is the common symptom of zinc deficiency. Studies found that zinc supplement reduces hair loss caused by zinc deficiency. But you need to keep in mind that taking too much of zinc can also lead to hair loss. To get rid of this problem you should consume zinc from whole foods. Zinc is one of the best vitamins for hair growth. Foods such as oysters, beef, wheat germ, spinach, pumpkin seeds, and lentils are high in zinc.