Toenail fungus is a very common problem. It is also called onychomycosis and is a nail fungus that can actually affect either the toenail or fingernail. It begins as a white or yellow color spot on or below the tip of the nail. Contracting toenail fungus is generally painless until it becomes infected. When this happens, the nail gets thicker and decolorized. And in more extreme cases, it impairs the ability of a person to use their hands or feet. Fortunately, there are easy and inexpensive ways to get rid of toenail fungus. Read on to see how you can tackle this problem before it becomes too late.
Causes of Toenail Fungus:
- Overexposure to wet or moist environments, like sweaty socks and shoes.
- Poor hygiene
- Abnormal pH levels in the skin.
- Weakened immune system.
- Health conditions like diabetes.
Symptoms of Toenail Fungus:
- Inflammation of skin around the toenail.
- Yellowing of toenail from the tips.
- Crumbling or thickening toenail.
- Splitting or cracking of toenail.
Ways to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus:
1.) Baking Soda to Treat Toenail Fungus
This remedy is easily available and fairly inexpensive. Baking soda is a staple that can be found right in your pantry. This contains useful properties that can fight and get rid of toenail fungus. In addition, it works to neutralize foot odor.
- To prepare this remedy you will need 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1/4 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 cup of Epsom salt. You will also need 4 cups of hot water and a small tub.
- Mix together these ingredients into the hot water. After stirring thoroughly, add 1/4 cup of white vinegar to it.
- Soak the foot with the infected toenail in this solution for 10 minutes. After, rinse with clean, cool water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process twice every day till you see the desired results.
2.) Cure Toenail Fungus with Oil of Oregano
Oil of oregano is another effective natural remedy to get rid of toenail fungus. This oil contains a whole variety of properties that make it useful for treating a number of conditions. Oil of oregano is lauded in home remedies because of its antifungal, antiseptic, antiparasitic, analgesic, antiviral, and antibacterial properties.
- To make use of this remedy you will need, oil of oregano and some olive oil. You will also need some cotton balls or cotton swabs.
- Into 1 teaspoon of olive oil, add 2 drops of oil of oregano. Soak a cotton ball in this mixture and apply it directly on the affected nail.
- Leave on for 30-40 minutes. Now rinse with cool water and dry thoroughly.
- Repeat this process once every day for 3 weeks, till you see improved results.
3.) Orange Oil to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
This oil contains natural antifungal properties and so, is useful to get rid of toenail fungus. However, it is possible that orange oil can trigger allergies in people with sensitive skin. So, it is important to make sure to test a little of this remedy on a small patch of skin prior to application.
- The best way to combat toenail fungus with this oil is by direct application. Using a medicine dropper, pick up some orange oil and place it directly on the affected toenail.
- For sensitive skin, follow these steps to dilute the remedy. Mix together 1/2 teaspoon of orange oil and 1/2 teaspoon of olive or grape seed oil.
- Soak a cotton ball in this. Apply it right on the affected toenail. Leave it for 30 minutes to work.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times in a day till you see improved results.
4.) Get Rid of Toenail Fungus with Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil acts as a good natural antiseptic. It has been used in a number of home remedies to treat various skin related diseases. In addition, it has antifungal features that make it effective to fight toenail fungus. And so, it is a good remedy to get rid of toenail fungus.
- For this, you will need tea tree essential oil and a base mineral oil like olive or coconut oil.
- Into 1 teaspoon of the base oil, mix 5-8 drops of tea tree oil.
- Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and apply it directly on the affected toenail.
- Leave on for 10 minutes. Using an old, soft toothbrush,gently scrub the affected nail.
- Do this 2-3 times daily until the toenail is cured.
5.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Toenail Fungus
Apple cider vinegar has been characteristically used in various home remedies. This vinegar contains mild acidic properties that help keep toenail fungus from spreading. In addition, it contains antibacterial and antifungal properties that make it excellent to get rid of toenail fungus.
- For this remedy, you will need 1 part organic apple cider vinegar and 1 part water.
- Mix this together. Now, soak the infected toenail in this solution for 30 minutes.
- Dry toenail well. Repeat this every day till you get rid of the toenail fungus.
6.) Coconut Oil to Remove Toenail Fungus
This is probably one of the most natural ways to get rid of toenail fungus. Coconut oil is regarded as a miracle oil in natural health circles. This oil contains medium chain fatty acids that work as a natural fungicide for fungal infections. It is a treatment that uses no harsh chemicals to strip away the fungus.
- For this remedy, all you need is some organic, virgin coconut oil and some mild soap.
- Using a cotton ball, soak it in the coconut oil. Place this directly on the infected nail and apply.
- Leave this on for 1-2 hours and then rinse with cool water and soap.
- Reapply this 2-3 times a day. Use the soap to wash your hands in between each application.
7.) White Vinegar Treatment for Toenail Fungus
White vinegar is a good remedy to get rid of toenail fungus. This is because white vinegar contains antibacterial and antifungal properties that fight off toenail fungus. In addition, it is excellent to restore the correct pH levels of the skin around the toenail.
- For this method, you will need 1 part white vinegar and 2 parts of warm water.
- Mix the white vinegar into the warm water. Now, soak the foot with the infected toe in this solution for 15-20 minutes. Once done, rinse with lukewarm water and dry thoroughly.
- Repeat 2 times every day until the fungus is cured.
8.) Garlic to Treat Toenail Fungus Naturally
Not only is garlic great for adding flavor to dishes, it is also used in a number of home remedies. Garlic contains compounds which have natural antifungal properties. These compounds, mainly allicin and ajoene, help to fight off infections and get rid of toenail fungus.
- To use this remedy, you need garlic oil, white vinegar, a piece of gauze and some cotton balls.
- Mix together 1 teaspoon of garlic oil and 1 teaspoon of white vinegar. Stir well.
- Soak this up with a cotton ball. Place this directly over the affected toenail. Cover the toenail with gauze and leave it on for a few hours.
- Change the dressings every day till the toenail fungus is cured.
9.) Get Rid of Toenail Fungus with Lemon
The juice of this citrus fruit is an effective natural remedy to get rid of toenail fungus. Lemon juice contains antiseptic as well as antifungal properties. In addition, the citric acid present in lemon juice helps to curb the spread of infection.
- All you need for this treatment is fresh lemon juice and some olive oil. Mix together 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply this with a cotton ball on the nail. Leave it for 3-4 hours, then rinse with warm water.
- Alternatively, cut a thin slice of lemon and place it on the toe. Cover with a gauze and let it work for 30 minutes. Rinse with warm water. Repeat this every day for 1 time till it is cured
10.) Lavender Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus
Lavender oil can be used to get rid of toenail fungus naturally. This essential oil contains several volatile compounds that can fight any kind of infection. In addition, its antiseptic properties can disinfect and halt the spread of infections.
- For this remedy, you will need lavender oil, tea tree oil, and a base oil like olive or grape seed oil.
- Mix equal amounts of each oil. 5 drops each should do the trick. With a cotton swab/ball, apply this mixture on the top edge of the toenail and the surrounding skin.
- Leave on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with cool water and dry thoroughly. Repeat 2-3 times a day.